\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 72,898,459
  • Today: 14,930
Server InfoServer Info
  • Mar 29, 2024
  • 12:31 am PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
JAC
MB-5
MB-5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Looking for some help. I have had my Canadian 900 (black with hondaline) for 35 yrs. Always stored inside, and all too rarely ridden. Been looking forward to a refresh for about a decade, and finally started. Engine is out, frame is stripped down for powder coat. I suspect that despite pouring over this forum for years, I will have a million questions. Already been in touch with Tom, for some PC.

My original pipes are ok, but far from great. Tiny hole in the bottom of one muffler and a few scratches in the chrome. I really like the look, and know of no way to repair. It’s been years since I have seen stock pipes available, but I am looking for something that is close in appearance without having to rejet carbs. Any ideas?

Also, there are a number of black colored bolts. I like the original translucent look, is there any way to freshen these up? Or do I need to pc or replace with new?

Plan is to rebuild the top end after pc. There is only 8,000 miles on it, but this is a one time only resto. Figured it would need new tensioner, maybe rings, definitely needs to be re-shimmed.

Thanks for your advice!

Hondo57
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

See if they are available new is my advice. If not then have them black anodized. There are probably a few places in Nashville to do that

Black CB900F
Black CB900F

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Both mufflers have a drain hole in the bottom near where they are attached to the headers so that may be normal. You will know when the mufflers are near end off life as the inner baffles start to show through the outer skin. If that's not happening yet then you can hugely extend their life with a little trick I started doing close to 30 years ago. Assuming you have the cross pipe that joins the left and right systems together under the motor, early 900's didn't, then you can do this. Every couple of months and before winter storage, connect a shop vac to one muffler and turn it on. You should feel suction on the other muffler. Now spray copious amounts of WD40 into that suction air flow. Keep going until you smell it coming out of the shop vac. Then switch over and suck the other side while spraying again for about the same amount of time. Thats it. My system have been on my 900 for almost 30 years and is pretty much pristine.

However if your mufflers are shot then Marving make a nice repro. With or without headers.

2012 ST1300
1982 CX500 Turbo
1991 FJ1200
1976 CB750 Super Sport
1986 VFR750F
1985 VF1000R 
CDN1100F
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cool trick with the WD40 Nick!

Chris

X7eater
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Love the WD40 trick, question.....is the idea to try and repel any moisture that’s sitting inside those pipes? and would ACF-50 do a equal/better job? https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/acf50.php

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic