\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 72,897,961
  • Today: 14,754
Server InfoServer Info
  • Mar 28, 2024
  • 11:42 pm PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
ex-ama-superbike
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Russ Jordan brings it home to Cincinnati!

genesound
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yea!!!

Let's hear about it Russ!

We don\'t see things as they are
we see things as we are

Viton Valve Stem Seals
12.9 Cam Holder Bolts

smurdoch
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Congrats, Russ.

grump
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Way to go RUSS!

1100russ
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was feeling pretty verbose the other night when I wrote this for my fb page lol. I do pretty detailed recaps after races so read it if you want. Also some pics at the end. Still looking for on the track pics. I would love if someone caught me sliding the rear coming out of turn 4 (keyhole)!

I guess I need to do a recap of Vintage Days. Every year in the middle of July the American Motorcycle Association rents the Mid Ohio Race Course and lets 150,000 or so maniacs race, sell, buy, abuse, talk about, admire and learn about all types of 2 wheeled conveyances...... but mainly it's about old bikes. From 100+ year old bikes to relatively young (40 years old) bikes like mine and everything around or in between. Every July for the past 30 years it has been the Mecca of motorcycling for the Midwest. And I finally got to race there.

WERA runs the road race portion for the AMA as the AMA does not have an RR program like their moto cross/off-road programs. This was my first time racing with WERA and they do a good job. Thanks to Sean and Evelyn for organizing and putting up with the rest of us kids wearing adult clothes, doing things our parents and spouses wish we would not do.

On to the racing. I did a track day with Jim Jordan and Jeff McKinney a couple weeks ago to familiarize myself with the track and it was invaluable. Friday practice I spent trying to improve my lines, set my markers and get faster. It really didn't work lol. I don't learn tracks very fast. I'm not a guy who can go out and lay fast laptimes down right away. Lack of intestinal fortitude (testicle size?), old age, over thinking or lack of talent might all be contributing factors. Hell, I don't know. But I always race faster than I practice.
Saturday I was in race 2. Racing was supposed to start after lunch and right around 11:30 it rains like hell. Typical Vintage Days lol. Lightning, thunder and a tornado watch closed the track. I love Mid Ohio. It is one the funnest, most challenging tracks in the US but it is treacherous when it's wet. The sun came back out about 2:30, the track dried for the most part (wet spot coming out of turn 4) and we started racing at 3:30. Races were cut from 6 laps to 3 to try and get as many races in as they could before the end of the day. Gridded in the middle of the front row. Not many bikes came out Saturday I'm sure because of the green track. Warm up lap, grid up, green flag and I stall it. Again. 3rd time since I've started racing. This shits getting old. Will be addressing this in the near future. Get it started and take off. I catch a couple of slower guys at the end of the first lap and get around them with motor on the back stretch. Track to myself till the end although I was catching the leaders as I saw them going through the chicane (2-3) on the last lap but didn't have enough laps to catch them. Finished second out of 2 bikes in my class (5 or 6 we're listed on the grid sheets). Robby Ringnalda won on his really cool CBX. Pretty cool story behind his bike but I'll let him tell it lol. But I saw the green and checkered flags so it was a successful race.

Sunday morning I registered for V6 just to get more racing in. While I'm registering I hear the schedule being discussed and thought I heard that the 3 races that didn't run Saturday we're going to run in the morning and the full schedule would run after lunch like a typical Saturday schedule. So I got all relaxed thinking I'm not going out till after lunch. That's not what happened. They got the first 3 races from the Sunday schedule in before lunch as well as the 3 races from the day before. I went back to my pit to fire up the grill for lunch and they're calling race 1. I was a little surprised, but I had plenty of time to get ready. Start to put on my gear and had an intestinal situation that needed to be taken care of immediately. That put me behind. I get back to my pit and Jeff has the bike running (thank the Lord I put the tire warmers on it that morning) and Jamie set my tire pressures while I got dressed. Made it in plenty of time. Thanks guys! Middle of front row again. 3 bikes on track for V5 (class I was in). Ear plugs to try and hear motor better for the launch. They do help but I still slipped it being cautious to not stall it again. That let Rob get the hole shot on me. I followed him through the first 3/4's of the track until turn 10-11 where he gapped me. Still was in my sight until we got around to 10 again and he widened his lead. But when I came out of 15 onto the front stretch he had gone off and was in the grass. I went by thinking "I can win this race" and sent it. I was pushing it, sometimes too hard, missing brake and tipping points, sliding the rear tire coming out of 4 (which was really fun). Settled down finally and the last lap I ran a nice clean fast lap (1.57 my fastest for the weekend) and won my first road race. Unbelievable.

My bump up race was #11 (V6 heavyweight). Was feeling pretty good after winning race 2 but knew I didn't have much of a chance. Faster bikes and faster riders lol. I just wanted more laps and hopefully get to race with someone. Started in the back. Decent hole shot, Harry Vanderlinden passed me (he started behind me) and I followed him past a couple guys going into and out of turn 1. The fast guys slowly disappeared and I was just trying to improve my lap times, which I didn't lol. There was a guy behind me but he didn't get close enough to try and pass. I did get lapped though which hasn't happened in a couple years but it's a big bump up compared to my usual bump in AHRMA. All my lap times except Saturday's debacle we're under 2 minutes so I'm happy with that.

I didn't expect to win a race or the overall this weekend. I knew there would be faster riders than me. Hell, I'm about to turn 55 years old and this my 4th year road racing. But I'm getting faster. Not having issues with the bike is good preparation and is a huge part of being successful on the track. I don't want to brag but I'm proud of this old bike and the work I've done to get it here. I almost never have to work on it at the track. Mainly gas, tire prep and making sure the battery is charged. If I continue to do this it's only going to get better.

I got to meet some really cool people this weekend. Bruce Egan hung out in the pits with us all weekend. He has a super fast 900f that he raced back in the day. Brian Mullins who has been bullshitting with me on FB and is one of the fast guys on track (runs MA twins cup on occasion). Got to hang out with his family Saturday and it was a blast. Met Doc Batcheleer and got to sit his Indian. What a cool dude and bike! Racing is truly a family.

Of course I have a bunch of people to thank. My brother Jim Jordan and my brother from another mother Jeff McKinney. (I call him) Jamie did almost all of the machine work to my engine, with an assist from Nathan House (head) and Bill Moeller (finish hone and knowledge). He and Jeff also took care of the pits and the got the bike ready for my FIRST EVER RACE WIN! No way I get to the grid in time without them being there. No way to thank them enough. I always thank Dennis Parrish who inspired me to try this, mentored me when I first started, answered all my questions putting the bike together, tried to get me to do the smart thing and start on a smaller bike and has just been a great friend and mentor. Jeff has taken the mentor thing over now but I miss you Dennis! Jim Sawtell for parts, ideas, bullshit sessions and inspiration. You're a good friend Jim. I wish we didn't live on opposite sides of the planet. And of course my beautiful, patient and loving wife Becky Jordan . Without your support I couldn't do this. It sucks you couldn't be there this weekend. You are missed at the track by more than just me when you don't go. I love you!

And they all lived happily ever after. The End!

Don't know if you noticed but most of the guys I thanked are members of this forum. There are more to thank also, Rick (sillygoose) sold me that pipe, Larry (cbxdog RIP) sold me the rolling chassis, Bob (bobcat) provided inspiration, advice and a guy to sound ideas off of, Tom (Lindy) sold me the transmission (or gave it to me? Can't remember Tom lol) and also listened to some of my hair brained ideas and gave advice. I've been a member here for a long dam time and I couldn't and wouldn't have been able to do this without you guys. So thanks again.

Thursday pic by my buddy Bill DeVore.

Friday morning before practice.

First race win with times and fast lap.

The obligatory trophy pic Jeff took lol. Makes me look fat and crazy...... Which are both pretty accurate. Twisted Evil

XR100 Teaching Bike
Ducati 750 SS Track Bike
CB360 Little Honda 
SteveG
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

What fun!! Congratulations!

Steve

CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

genesound wrote:
Yea!!!

Let's hear about it Russ!

Hope that was enough Gene lol. I have been accused of being "Soy Boy" like. I actually miss his crazy, super detailed ramblings. He was a good dude. RIP....

XR100 Teaching Bike
Ducati 750 SS Track Bike
CB360 Little Honda 
smurdoch
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, Russ for the great follow-up report.
Congrats, again.

1100russ
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

SteveG wrote:
What fun!! Congratulations!

Steve

Thanks Steve. It is a helluva lot of fun. Consuming. Physically and mentally taxing. Addicting. Now that I'm of a certain age I would honestly rather track ride than have sex. Don't get me wrong my wife and I still enjoy that but I've had plenty over the years lol. Maybe if I was single and not getting it on a regular basis I would feel differently. Building the bike was almost as much fun as racing/riding it. It's dam satisfying knowing I did almost everything to put this bike together. Again I'm not trying to brag. I hope someone gets inspired and builds a bike and I get to see them at the races. Even if they're faster than me.

XR100 Teaching Bike
Ducati 750 SS Track Bike
CB360 Little Honda 
hogwild113
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Congrats Exclamation Exclamation

1980CB750F
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Great story and a good read. Congratulations!

cbxsix
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Great story, congratulations on your win!

genesound
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good job Russ, congratulations, and thanks for the writeup, it was awesome!

We don\'t see things as they are
we see things as we are

Viton Valve Stem Seals
12.9 Cam Holder Bolts

ctluba
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thats cool as hell!!!! Havin fun and life is good. Congrats and enjoy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks guys.

XR100 Teaching Bike
Ducati 750 SS Track Bike
CB360 Little Honda 
Alt1
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Very cool Russ, congrats!

bobcat7
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

COOL! I just saw this. Isn't winning a GREAT feeling !!!
You won't and shouldn't come down from it for a long time
if ever. I feel your joy in your words. I'm really happy for
you Dude. May it be the first 1st of many to come. Cool

Thank me ? all I did was give you a hard time ! Laughing

RACE ON ! Twisted Evil

CBX1260cc
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

CONGATS

Well done and deserved.

Keep at it.

Whitmo
MB-5
MB-5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Great write up. Congrats on the win!

2015 Yamaha TW200
2007 HD 1200 Sportster (sold)
1983 V45 Interceptor (sold) 
1100russ
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dam. Been awhile. Thanks guys. I just dug this up because Chris mentioned Ken Kaplan's motorcycle museum on the the spring ride thread. That reminded me I made his Vintage Days movie lol. Around 18:22 is Jeff's (ex-ama-superbike) son on an IT he picked up there and right after is Jeff talking to Ken Kaplan about my bike and me being quiet for once lol. Here's the link. I can't remember how to embed a vid.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS919US919&tbm=vid&sxsrf=AJOqlzVJhAawHLhIY9l3VR93WzBwrgH5Rw:1673469856328&q=kaplan+vintage+days&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjhptCCscD8AhUVMzQIHYMUDwcQ8ccDegQIDBAH&biw=1218&bih=649&dpr=1.5#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:ab8d1b4b,vid:c6MK9QB-e5Y

XR100 Teaching Bike
Ducati 750 SS Track Bike
CB360 Little Honda 
f4fast
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cool vid and congrats on win.

sixdog
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

CONGRATS!!!!

82 GS1000 Katana
80 Suzuki GS1000s Wes Cooley
83 Kawasaki KZ1000 ELR
82 Kawasaki GPZ1100B2
02 Honda CBR1100XX
86 VFR750
86 Yamaha FZ750
95 CBR900RR Urban Tiger 
1100russ
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks guys. Still can't believe it lol.

XR100 Teaching Bike
Ducati 750 SS Track Bike
CB360 Little Honda 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic