\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 73,284,279
  • Today: 10,995
Server InfoServer Info
  • Apr 19, 2024
  • 03:37 pm PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
reverend-ralph
MB-5
MB-5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am very sad to report that I stopped to see John on my way home from vacation today, only to find his 2 brothers at his home. John unexpectedly passed away on 09/16/16 from some type of heart failure after being involved in a serious motorcycle accident on his 1982 CBX on 09/07/16. He was in intensive care for several days with 2 broken arms and a torn up knee. He had been transferred to the regular floor, and then to rehab. One of the brothers had spoken to him a few days prior to his death, said he seemed in good spirits and was doing well. There is a memorial service in his hometown of Chanute KS--here is link to the ROMEO chapter website he road with, and further below is info re: the accident.

The family wants to sell the 2 motorcycles listed ASAP if anyone is interested. John had "restored" the 750 to very nice condition-as noted it is a "sandcast" model.

http://www.romeoriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4238

John had posted on the CBXWorld website last month about issues with a leaking headgasket on his 1100RC. The bike is not at his house-fairing pieces were there, family thought he had probably sold it but I told them he would not have sold it without the fairing, so they did some more looking and found the title, so now the question is, where is it? I suspect he may have taken it somewhere to be worked on, but no idea where? Maybe back to Jim Z in Ohio? Does anyone have any info/ideas? Does anyone have Jim Z's phone # or email so that I can check with him? This is the posting he had made re: the leaking headgasket. http://www.cbxworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17307&highlight=

Here is his posting about his 1100RC on this site

Thanks for any help you can give.

I had made several bike trips with John to GA, CO, OH and TN. John was a great guy, always full of energy, a wealth of knowledge re: rock & roll music from the 50s & 60s, and very much enjoyed life. It was a pleasure to know him, and I will miss him terribly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the article from the Chanute Tribune about the accident:

"Chanute Tribune" HomeNews
Chanute motorcyclist injured

Posted: Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:37 pm

A Chanute motorcyclist was flown to Overland Park Regional Medical Center from an accident at US-169 and West Virginia Road in Allen County Wednesday morning.

Terry Johnson, 57, Iola, driving a semi with a trailer, was northbound on US-169 and and attempted to make a left turn onto West Virginia Road at about 9:17 am.

John Davis, 75, Chanute, was driving a 1982 Honda motorcycle and attempted to pass the semi, striking it on the driver’s side.
Davis received serious but not life-threatening injuries, according to a Facebook post from the Allen County Sheriff’s Department. The sheriff’s office believes he would have been killed if he had not been wearing his helmet.
The hospital reported that as of 5 pm Wednesday Davis was in critical condition.
The post quotes Sheriff Bryan Murphy as saying “In my twenty-plus years in law enforcement I have many times heard the debate about the importance of seat belts and motorcycle helmets. No matter what your views are, this morning I saw a man’s life saved, not just by our highly skilled first responders, but first by the helmet he was wearing. Everyone has a story, this person will have an opportunity to tell others how the choice he made to wear a helmet saved his life.”

smoojee
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's sad, I'm sorry to hear that. Although I didn't know him, my condolences to his family and friends.

CBX1260cc
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Man that's a BUMMER.
I had corresponded with John a few times on the CBX forum and he was ALWAYS willing to help out.

My condolences to the family.

Hondo57
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry to find this out. Please give the family condolences and am wishing the best for them

CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

I can check with Jim for you Ralph but it wasn't there a couple of weekends ago. I remember when he was working on it.

XR100 Teaching Bike
Ducati 750 SS Track Bike
CB360 Little Honda 
1100russ
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oops. Sent him a txt. Waiting on a reply.

Just spoke with Jim Z. He has no idea where it is. He finished it about a year ago. Sad news. Never met him but messaged back and forth here about his R. Kind of kept him abreast of what was going on. Seemed like a really nice guy. RIP John.

XR100 Teaching Bike
Ducati 750 SS Track Bike
CB360 Little Honda 
tomk1960
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

How very sad. I spoke with John several times over the past few years, exchanged many emails, and had the privilege to help with his restoration work. He was a real gentleman and a very nice guy. I'm so sorry to hear this news - please pass on my condolences to his family.

Tom

CB1100F's - multiple flavors 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Captain
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Never good to hear that another fellow member has passed on and for those that were close the pain will be difficult to handle and I wish that on no one.
To his friends and family......My condolences.

Captain

Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

That is very sad news on the monday morning.
My condolences to his family and friends.
John emailed me now and then about things and parts or advice for his beloved cb1100RC.
Once he called me with skype and we talked almost 1 hour about our bike,s he was a very friendly person.
So sad to hear what happened with John.
Thanks for posting this sad news.

Wout.

reverend-ralph
MB-5
MB-5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

1100russ wrote:
Oops. Sent him a txt. Waiting on a reply.

Just spoke with Jim Z. He has no idea where it is. He finished it about a year ago. Sad news. Never met him but messaged back and forth here about his R. Kind of kept him abreast of what was going on. Seemed like a really nice guy. RIP John.

Thanks-John's brother called me last last evening and had apparently found Jim's info and had also spoken with him.

CBX-tras
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm very sad to learn of John's passing.

He and I had many phone conversations and he brought me his R for some work a couple of years ago for some detail/re-fresh/up-grade work.

I feel honored to have known him. He was a true gentleman.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

J.R.

petrat
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Even though he didn't post here that much you could sense he was very passionate about his bikes. So sorry to hear of his passing.

http://www.darrenbeggcustoms.com

Vapor Blasting Services

Dealer for Wossner, Cometic, OHLINS, OZ Racing, Dymag, Marchesini, SUDCO, JB-Power, APE, Spiegler, Setrab, KOSO,
Brembo, Lightech, Speedcell, Racefit, Braketech, Ferodo Pads, Wood 
ZGrand
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I met John a couple of times at CBX rallies in Georgia. He was a truly nice man who loved motorcycles. And people. Rest in peace, John.

Thoughts and prayers for his family.

00 Kawasaki W650
04 Yamaha FZ1
06 Suzuki DR650 
Noblehops
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Man oh man. I am still taking this in.

I never did get a chance to meet John in person but I knew him from his love for the CBX and he stepped up a year or so ago to take over the responsibilities of Membership Director for the ICOA, which was really needed and appreciated. A really nice person, passionate motorcyclist, obviously blessed with great family and friends.

Reverend Ralph, my heart goes out to you. I can imagine your shock and sadness when you got to John's house and got the news. I'm sorry you lost your friend, and that you had to find out so abruptly.

I have a motorcycle problem. 
swiftnick
Black CB900F
Black CB900F

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Damn that is so sad, I met with John a number of times and we talked a lot about R's between times. He got Fee's R just before me. What a loss.

2012 ST1300
1982 CX500 Turbo
1991 FJ1200
1976 CB750 Super Sport
1986 VFR750F
1985 VF1000R 
silversurfer1050
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I knew him as Dai-UI (SP) on CBX World. Super nice guy.

Selfishly I say I have another hole in my life. Collectively the world is a lesser place for everyone who knew him.

Last edited by silversurfer1050 on Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total 
reverend-ralph
MB-5
MB-5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Updated contact info for anyone interested in purchasing John's Honda 750 sandcast, or his 1983 1100F. His brother (Tom Davis) is not getting reliable cell service in that area. 620-433-5260
I am supposed to be getting more pix of the 750 and will post here. We think we have a lead on where the 110RC may be-I'll keep you posted. It will also be for sale once located.

reverend-ralph
MB-5
MB-5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

1100R is still MIA. I asked all of his acquaintances to check with any shops they know of. We are hopeful whoever has it will call John's number and report it is ready for pickup?

John's memorial was yesterday, good turnout of approx 50 people that rode with him. The family found a company that makes urns like gas tanks, and the company got permission to put the CBX logo on the urn-ashes were taken by lots of his friends to be spread all over at places he rode. I hope to post pix later.

I saw his 1982-it is bad-I can only imagine the force of the accident. Steering neck was twisted approx 30 degrees. Engine mounts on the head were torn off, etc.

The sandcast 750 will be likely be North of $10000 given its condition and rarity. I think $2500 might buy the 1100F. I have more pix of both bikes if anyone wants, can give you a little history on the 750. I think John may have posted some pix of the 750 in his album?

I have offered to store the bikes at my place if they don't sell or are awaiting pickup and the family doesn't want to haul them back to N.C. They are trying to be done and heading home in the next 1-2 weeks, so don't dally on offers if you are interested.

reverend-ralph
MB-5
MB-5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry for the lateness of this, I have been on the road all day. The family called me and said the 1100F & the sandcast 750 & John's 450 project bikes have all been sold to someone from Texas. I suggested that the family either ask their attorney and/or the DMV if there is way to put an alert on the VIN on the 1100R.
John's cell phone number has been turned off, and when the family leaves in 1-2 weeks the house phone will be shut off. Assuming John took it to a mechanic, at some point I would assume that person would try to call John and or send him a letter. If he can't reach him and has no idea John is deceased or finds out he is deceased, and doesn't otherwise pursue finding John, at some point he may file a mechanic's lien with the DMV so that he can sell the bike and get his $. That's the best plan I could come up with if the 1100R is not found before they leave for home.

reverend-ralph
MB-5
MB-5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

I am very happy to report that the 1100R has been located. John had taken it to a mutual friend in Missouri who is an old school Honda mechanic. He should have the repairs finished on the bike, and it should be back in the family's possession in approx 1.5 weeks. They still want to sell it ASAP.

cb1187
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

reverend-ralph wrote:
I am very happy to report that the 1100R has been located. John had taken it to a mutual friend in Missouri who is an old school Honda mechanic. He should have the repairs finished on the bike, and it should be back in the family's possession in approx 1.5 weeks. They still want to sell it ASAP.

PM SENT

Wayne750F
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dang.......I haven't been on the forum much lately and missed this Ralph....I knew John and wanted to buy his blue 1100F but he decided to hang onto it when it didn't sell on E-Bay last year. Really bummed to hear of his passing, and especially as a result of a bike accident....best to his family and you Ralph as his buddy, he spoke very highly of you.....

Wayne

1993 Yamaha FZR1000 
fee
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

i only met him in person once , when he picked up the CB1100R from me. we talked a few times after that. he WAS a great person and i considered him my friend .

my deepest condolences to his family.

R.I.P john

feliz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic