\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 73,406,672
  • Today: 6,061
Server InfoServer Info
  • Apr 26, 2024
  • 08:05 am PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
Motocanada1957
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

https://driving.ca/features/feature-story/motor-mouth-drivings-view-on-noisy-motorcycles

1980CB750F
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Loud pipes save lives. It gets us noticed and in this day and age of inappropriate cellphone usage while driving this is an imperative. A better article would be one that addresses the inappropriate use of cellphones while driving and the implication on motorcyclists. All my bikes have loud pipes. Always have. I just don't rev them up at 4:00 am.

Bryce960
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They do indeed. Here in California. I just rode with someone the other day who was on a 90s Harley and the difference it made when splitting lanes. I was on my stock ninja bike which is relatively quiet compared to anything with pipes. All the guy on the harley had to do was give a couple revs and it was like parting the sea.

CBX1260cc
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"Loud pipes save lives. It gets us noticed and in this day and age of inappropriate cellphone usage while driving this is an imperative. A better article would be one that addresses the inappropriate use of cellphones while driving and the implication on motorcyclists. All my bikes have loud pipes. Always have. I just don't rev them up at 4:00 am"--I KNOW this is a touchy subject but I think loud pipes STARTLE drivers and the end result of that is an angry driver who then RESENTS a motorcyclist. A noticeable HORN might be a better tool as after the initial "toot" one can silently motor on instead of the constant annoyance of loud noises (read pipes). We as motorcyclists are a MUCH SMALLER group than the car drivers and concerned citizens and we need to have the citizens NOT NOTICE us in a NEGATIVE way as we silently cruise along. In Europe the issue of noise (both intended and Unintended) by motorcyclists is having very negative effects and in MANY places motorcycles are actually OUTLAWED from areas on certain days and times. This even applies to STOCK motorcycles in certain areas and is a DIRECT RESULT of previously noisy (read loud piped) bikes. So while you may feel that loud pipes save lives this thought process could eventually lead to your not being able to ride AT ALL. Think about it and decide if that is what you want. QUIET works best when trying to fit in.

Motocanada1957
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dear Guys

Loud pipes make the people behind and to the side of you aware of our presence. Unfortunately, by far the number one bike car interaction occurs when a car heading in the opposite direction cuts across your lane and i can absolutely assure you that they can't hear even the loudest Harley. Loud pipes saves lives is simply na justification and if you really believed that you'd all be wearing those flourescenet vests that are so very visible. I'm guessing you don't.

Bucko
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

I like quiet motorcycles; I prefer no-one knows how small my dick is.

f4fast
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Many good points in the article....

As a driver whose approach to navigating traffic involves the “ head on a swivel” approach, loud pipes from behind, tend to disorient me ,and Always increases the odds I will have an inadvertent collision with the approaching motorcycle.

First, I’m going to come right out and say that lane splitting as practiced by individuals in states that allow it, is dangerous for one reason ...speed differential. Speed differential in traffic is one of the factors that increases your chance of an unforeseen event happening that causes an accident , by a factor I’m estimating to be in the tens.

I’m not talking about rolling between cars in stop and go traffic where they are rolling at 0-10 mph and I roll at 20 between cars...

I’m talking when you start hitting faster speeds with more speed differential as the bikes pass.

You hear loud. You hear a bike....with the SD , you have no idea where it came from or where it is since your last mirror scan.

That sudden loud noise can cause a shift of the car within the lane, that isn’t always predictable (as when you are in left lane and say bike passes between left and center lanes)

All I can say is that personally a loud bike roaring up on me isn't safer that a quiet one....

Loud pipes don’t help with deer....huge problem for many US riders.

Loud pipes with a blaring stereo ( Harley pirates) probably are causing significant hearing loss for those riders as well.

As far as riding with the guy with the Harley splitting lanes, as the following rider, you are getting the gain of cars hearing the noise and then seeing that rider go by,so you following gets an advantage of his noise.
I’m not sure that he won’t have someone react unexpectedly as he goes by causing a problem.

1980CB750F
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="CBX1260cc"-I KNOW this is a touchy subject but I think loud pipes STARTLE drivers and the end result of that is an angry driver who then RESENTS a motorcyclist. A noticeable HORN might be a better tool as after the initial "toot" one can silently motor on instead of the constant annoyance of loud noises (read pipes). We as motorcyclists are a MUCH SMALLER group than the car drivers and concerned citizens and we need to have the citizens NOT NOTICE us in a NEGATIVE way as we silently cruise along. In Europe the issue of noise (both intended and Unintended) by motorcyclists is having very negative effects and in MANY places motorcycles are actually OUTLAWED from areas on certain days and times. This even applies to STOCK motorcycles in certain areas and is a DIRECT RESULT of previously noisy (read loud piped) bikes. So while you may feel that loud pipes save lives this thought process could eventually lead to your not being able to ride AT ALL. Think about it and decide if that is what you want. QUIET works best when trying to fit in.[/quote]

Loud pipes make people aware of your presence particularly if you are overtaking them in an attempt to pass. I can't tell you how many times people have started to change lanes and heard my bike and negated their lane change. Most of all, it forces people to notice you and LOOK FOR YOU instead of trying to drive and look at their phone at the same time. I want to be noticed. I want people to know I am there. It's safer that way. If I had to "toot" my horn every time I thought someone didn't see me I'd be on that horn all the time.

I don't split lanes.....ever. Too dangerous.

The only places I have found where motorcycles are not allowed are certain neighborhood developments in which I don't ride anyway. And if they want to make loud bikes illegal they'd better take a look at cars as well. Nothing beats the sound of a nicely tuned muscle car with a decent cam and some nice mufflers.

Lastly, I don't ride and attempt to "fit in". I am respectful when riding thru neighborhoods but when on the open road or in traffic it's fine. Both my F's and my Harley sound great and I've gotten more than a few compliments on the way they sound. It really is a matter of personal preference.

CBX1260cc
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Here's the article that OPENED MY EYES to the increased disdain by the general public to noisy motorcycles.

PLEASE READ and be aware this could EASILY CROSS THE WATERS to affect US.

https://advrider.com/european-motorcyclists-protest-new-noise-regulations/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=07_22_2020

1980CB750F
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

CBX1260cc wrote:
Here's the article that OPENED MY EYES to the increased disdain by the general public to noisy motorcycles.

PLEASE READ and be aware this could EASILY CROSS THE WATERS to affect US.

https://advrider.com/european-motorcyclists-protest-new-noise-regulations/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=07_22_2020

Interesting article. However, I disagree that this could traverse into a policy in the US. On a local level, maybe but on a federal level no!

I really don't care what non motorcycle riders think of me. Like I said I am respectful but an out and out ban would negate any respect I have. I'll take the ticket if it comes to that.
In the US motorcyclists are constantly doing group rides for a benefit of some kind. We raise a lot of money for worthy causes. We patronize a lot of businesses as well. Tighten restrictions and you will see less of both. Bikers aren't bad people overall. Most non riders don't realize or understand this. All they see is a loud bike or group of and it bothers them. Sorry but they can roll up their windows and turn up their music.

Lastly, I don't like those small Japanese cars with the juice can mufflers but I'm not looking for a government ban on those. I just pull up next to them and drown them out with my Harley.. All is well.

CBX1260cc
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"It really is a matter of personal preference."---VERY TRUE---UNTIL the effect of loud pipes annoys the MAJORITY to the extent that you have no places to ride.

The concern about also needing to look at Loud cars is basically irrelevant as MOTORCYCLES are the perceived evil doers. It's like when you get pulled over for 10 mph over the limit and the cop ignores the guy doing 20 over. YOU are the one being cited. Does no good to argue--what about the other guy.

In some areas we are rapidly approaching the need to "fit in" and be UNNOTICED. Only because of the constant transgressions of others.

Consider this. Not that I would want it--BUT--if ALL motorcycles were QUIET would we even be having this discussion? Probably NOT. If just a few motorcycles were loud (maybe one a day passing through a small town) same response--probably not. BUT we have a much larger group of motorcyclists who are on LOUD bikes and are acting IRRESPONSIBLY. THESE are the people who have caused the problems.

Maybe it would be better to ticket them and educate them on being more considerate of their sound levels and locations of releasing those sounds?? Highly unlikely to have any effect I must admit.

BUT if "we" as the general riding population do not start being more responsible (read quieter and "fitting in") we may soon find ourselves UNABLE to ride ANYWHERE. WE CAN make a difference. Let's do our best before we have the problems surfacing in Europe. Do your best to be quiet, less annoying and respectful of others and their space. It can only result in POSITIVES instead of the opposite.

Your right. Your choice. BUT be aware the result of exercising those rights and choices can result in the majority (non bikers); by popular demand, eventually taking away that right/choice.

Hondo57
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Delete

Last edited by Hondo57 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total 
headless
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bucko wrote:
I like quiet motorcycles; I prefer no-one knows how small my dick is.

roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao

Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bucko would appear to one the smartest man on this forum.

Hondo57
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Delete

Last edited by Hondo57 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total 
petrat
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Motocanada1957 wrote:
Bucko would appear to one the smartest man on this forum.

For a second there I thought you typed smallest Laughing

http://www.darrenbeggcustoms.com

Vapor Blasting Services

Dealer for Wossner, Cometic, OHLINS, OZ Racing, Dymag, Marchesini, SUDCO, JB-Power, APE, Spiegler, Setrab, KOSO,
Brembo, Lightech, Speedcell, Racefit, Braketech, Ferodo Pads, Wood 
Motocanada1957
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

well Hondo have fun, Just be prepared when someone tells you you can't ride your motorcycle somewhere. You brought nit on yourself.

CBX1260cc
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Motocanada1957 wrote:
well Hondo have fun, Just be prepared when someone tells you you can't ride your motorcycle somewhere. You brought nit on yourself.

I AGREE.

If we do not CHANGE our views and habits the Majority will change them for us by legislative vote.

The issues in Europe are an indicator of our future if we DO NOT CHANGE.

At least we have had sufficient warning and no one can say I didn't see it coming.

Motocanada1957
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

exactly cbx

chico
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It may be impossible to define what are loud pipes but before we discuss the subject we should have an idea where the threshold is. The authorities use the db method for lack of a better "system". I think it is greatly dependent on an individuals perception as per Hondos gf.
Some people think that anything louder than a Tesla is too much. My Harley is obnoxious to most while the CBX has a sweet melody although it's loud. I hve no idea how they compare on a db meter.

Chico

2000 Harley Fatboy
2005 Softail Deluxe
´07 Yamaha FZ traded
'17Triumph Tiger 800
'17 Triumph Bobber
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around 
BlueThunder
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There is loud and fucking obnoxious loud. Most of the latter I have found to be Harley riders but not all. When I have to put my hands on my ears, parents scoop children off the streets or windows rattle, that is too loud. Perhaps if more bikers took the blue pill they wouldn't feel the need to be obnoxious.

1977 GL1000 - Ox 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic