\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 73,631,369
  • Today: 14,277
Server InfoServer Info
  • May 02, 2024
  • 04:56 am PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
desertrefugee
MB-5
MB-5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys. I think I already know the answer here, but based on a few other models that are also getting long in the tooth, I thought I'd ask the F crowd and see if there are still a few "custom" fans out there.

I think we'd all agree that, in terms of resale value, an original or nicely restored specimen will pretty much always bring more than an average custom - perhaps not a high zoot custom, but few go that far. The CBX community, in particular, goes the in original direction, mainly because nice original ones go for such stoopid money. Factory paint, whether on CBX or CBxxxF, is unmistakable, but perhaps not what everyone wants (resale value not withstanding) ...

I picked up a very nice, original owner '79 CBX last Spring. But definitely not in original state. An older fellow, he at one time had four in his garage and this was the last he sold. His baby! The mods are all period stuff and tastefully done (if you're into flames).

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I haven't seen but a handful of custom 750/900/1100Fs. Are they out there? Or are they all being restored?

Are not some of these "period" customs as deserving of preservation as the factory stuff? I think so. I've decided that my '79 will stay custom. In fact, it's liberating. I'm converting a Pro-Link swingarm to twin-shock config as we speak...

LightsOut
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

There's plenty of really well made customs done by members here! Fork swaps, monoshock, cbr wheels etc.

Where I live a perfectly restored 1100 can probably sell for quite a bit, but for 750/900 there's no real collector's value. On pure personal preference I prefer tastefully modified to completely stock, and since there's no financial disincentive for my 900... that's the route I'm headed eventually Smile

I'd say keep modifying yours. I'd probably ditch the flames, but to each their own Wink

grump
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

me
If i plan on keeping it, custom who cares what anybody else thinks. I'd pay more for Doc Olds' Junior than for a stocker same same.

I poled this site foe the value of my 81 dead stock all original, save tires etc, and the opine was $2.5K with 3,055 miles. sold it for 2500.

So the truism what ever the buyer will pay and whatever the seller will accept is the price test.

PS see petrat's custom bikes IE.

robbo
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ya, whatever floats your boat. In the end, if you keep your F stock, or customise it, if you eventually sell it, what you get is not going to change your life one way or another. Maybe one day these bikes will command serious money, but it seems to me that day hasn't arrived yet.

So, please yourself.

f4fast
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nice Bike! Congratulations on your purchase...I'm still kicking myself for passing on a stock red 79 cbx w/30k miles for 5k a few years back...

That said, I think a stock style paint job would improve that bike .....The mods are fine , in fact Mike Nixon says that style fork brace is one of the best if you "supertune" your fork. Has to do with the ability to align the fork tubes precisely for minimal working friction.

I would really dig a mostly stock CBX with factory style paint , wide 17" wheels and improved period correct style suspension...RSU forks and twin shocks...just sayin.....

nlovie
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

often depends on what bike - and it only depends on your own wish's
for me - the original CBX 1000 - Honda got the colour scheme's almost 100% spot on - either silver or the tasty dark red - both with the flat black side panels - think there was a dark chocolate version ( almost black ? ) - for me this didn't work
your black versus silver engine may look better in the red
go look at the silver with silver engine versus the almost black version - to me they look almost like two different bikes - the dark one looks like a lardy tourer, the silver version just looks like a rocket ship techie work of art - and it also looks about 200lbs lighter

sorry but ment as constructive criticism - your present scheme for me looses a lot of what the CBX is - which the above std schemes ably highlight - its the engine

KTM 990 Adventure 
genesound
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like the look of that bike, except maybe for the flames. But then I like black bikes. Spending money on changing up bikes can be a slippery slope.

We don\'t see things as they are
we see things as we are

Viton Valve Stem Seals
12.9 Cam Holder Bolts

petrat
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

All original is where it's at Razz

http://www.darrenbeggcustoms.com

Vapor Blasting Services

Dealer for Wossner, Cometic, OHLINS, OZ Racing, Dymag, Marchesini, SUDCO, JB-Power, APE, Spiegler, Setrab, KOSO,
Brembo, Lightech, Speedcell, Racefit, Braketech, Ferodo Pads, Wood 
desertrefugee
MB-5
MB-5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

I really appreciate the comments, guys. Constructive criticism and otherwise - this is EXACTLY the conversation I was hoping for. To be honest, I almost didn't even go look at the bike because of the flames. But. two things: 1) Other than paint, the bike is virtually unmolested. 2) The flame job was done exquisitely and is in perfect condition.

I really don't have the heart to cover it. I'm looking for another tank... and to my point, I still maintain that we ought to preserve some of the period customs. They have a place in history, too!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic