\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 73,280,927
  • Today: 7,643
Server InfoServer Info
  • Apr 19, 2024
  • 11:53 am PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
MitchT
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As everyone knows, the plastic parts on our bikes are susceptible to damage from the sun, crashing, and just plain drying out and cracking in normal use. It’s been a problem that has been nagging at me for quite a while.

As I get ready for a restoration and upgrade of my 750, I became interested in getting a lidded tail, but they are expensive, and hard to get, and, even when you get one, they often need new decals and paint. It’s easy to spend $400 on a lidded tail.
Where I live in Southern California, there are a lot of people and businesses that need work. Since we have an active ocean community, I thought I’d see if I could find a carbon fiber fabricator to make a high quality tail for my bike.

They took a lidded tail that I got from Japan, made a mold off of it, and created a prototype for me to play with.
Here are some pictures:

http://www.microdatabase.com/images/CF-Tail%20021.JPG

http://www.microdatabase.com/images/CF-Tail%20022.JPG

http://www.microdatabase.com/images/CF-Tail%20023.JPG

http://www.microdatabase.com/images/CF-Tail%20024.JPG

I’m getting in hinges and a latch soon, as well as some Teflon to make mounts for the infill panel that surrounds the taillight. If I’m successful with this, I will have a lidded tail that is stronger than the original part.

I’m having a lot of fun doing this, and thought you all would enjoy seeing it too.

foxyj
Rest in Peace

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thats extremely interesting, also its great to know that the skills are still available locally to undertake this quality work .

foxyj. Very Happy Very Happy

CDN1100F
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That is very cool Mitch! They would definately be stronger, resistant to UV and they look nice. You could do a whole bike with the carbonfiber look and put on the graphics from an '82 black 900F. Can you color the resin when making up the carbon fiber? I know nothing about the process, could you explain how it is done?

Cheers!
Chris

cliffiec
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Here's the pics:

Looks really cool!

Silence is the best reply to a Fool!

Ever notice that people who think they know everything never shut up?

Last edited by cliffiec on Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total 
lapoltba
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You people are going to cost me alot of money.... Grumble, grumble....

That is awesome.

JohnYoung
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome Mitch - I want one.

1982 CB450T (Wife´s)
1983 CB1100F (Mine) 
MitchT
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

CDN1100F wrote:
That is very cool Mitch! They would definately be stronger, resistant to UV and they look nice. You could do a whole bike with the carbonfiber look and put on the graphics from an '82 black 900F. Can you color the resin when making up the carbon fiber? I know nothing about the process, could you explain how it is done?

Cheers!
Chris

Yes, you can mix up colored resins. You need to measure color into the resin accurately to ensure consistency throughout the parts.

The process is similar to fiberglass, you need an original part, and then you have to clean it up before molding. Decals, paint lines, etc, have to be removed, else they will end up being molded in every part that you make. Molds are typically made from CF and/or fiberglass, and they are built very thick and sturdy so the parts coming out of them will not be warped.

CF also adds the complication of needing to be laid in so the fibers are straight, unlike 'glass where everything is covered in gelcoat. And there are a number of different weaves. This one is (I think) a 2x2 twill weave.

I think of CF parts as being in two groups. Structural, which requires a autoclave to apply pressure and heat during curing, and makes very, very strong parts, and decorative, which uses vaccum bagging to apply even pressure throughout the part. Structural CF is insanely expensive, and the aerospace community has 'claves you can walk in. My part uses a vaccum bag to apply pressure, but no heat, which is less expensive, but it still requires knowledge to do right. The guys that did this part are doing an entire Nissan Z body in CF.

cliffiec
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Much of the V-22 Osprey (and other aircraft) are composites, too.

This would be a cool addition to Fr8trains F-117 themed 1100F!

Simonster
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

That is very inspiring! Would it not be possible to make other parts out of carbon, ie the hallowed wombat!

Cheers,

Simon

fr8train
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Rick. I've been watching this. I sure would like to have one. Regular tail w/o lid, type. How about pricing & availability?

CB900SS
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

cliffiec wrote:
Here's the pics:

Good job! Laughing Rolling Eyes Maybe just a little small though. Laughing

That tail does look cool man! Any plans to do the rest of the body parts?

therealcombat
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Damn i wish i had money to spend on stuff like this :/

billetproof97
MB-5
MB-5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

that tail is sick!!! i want one Smile

cliffiec
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

CB900SS wrote:
cliffiec wrote:
Here's the pics:

Good job! Laughing Rolling Eyes Maybe just a little small though. Laughing

That tail does look cool man! Any plans to do the rest of the body parts?

I know, I guess I could have put them in my Image Shack and re-sized, just too lazy, I guess...

[edit] OK, so I resized them. I see this thread hanging around for a while. They do look better!

Last edited by cliffiec on Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total 
f4fast
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

From the pictures, this project looks terrific.

Suggestion..........I think the best part to reproduce in this manner would be the 1100F fuse cover.

1) it is black on stockers, so a carbon weave works for every 1100, to accentuate the features of the bike.

2) originals often broke at the mounting tabs.

3) I would be a cool part that is highly visible to the owner when using the bike.

Imagine an F bike with Ducati like carbon bodywork replacing all the plastic wearing a decal set for a black bike on it? Trick?

MitchT
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have a 1100F fuse cover, but if it can be fitted to other models, it might be another piece that could be done.

Bear in mind that getting the outside of the part is only about 40% of the problem. If the underside is complex, then we have to make a double mold to get both sides right. Technically, it's not a problem, but financially, it doubles the mold cost, and means that more interest in purchasing the part has to be lined up to break even. I did the tail because I'm crazy. But, if, repeat if I can get it right, then perhaps I can get more made to sell.

The tail still needs me to get the gasked for the edge of the lid done, the latch and hinge for the door, and the attachments for the infill panel. I have a plan for all these pieces, so stay tuned. This is a labor of love for me, so I'm having fun, but it's still a lot of work.

Stay tuned!

lapoltba
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome work on it so far. My compliments to the composites shop that did the work. It looks like they know what they are doing. Almost ANYTHING can be made, it just depends howmuch $ and time you want to put into it.

We made carbon fiber uprights for the FSAE car which took forever to get right. We've also been working on making custom CF wheels in house which has also been a trial.

Keep it up and you may have yourself a brand new niche market in parts for these old bikes. beerchug Popcorn

jocko102
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

An 1100F fairing would be desirable produced in carbon fiber.

MitchT
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Here's a update on the project. First, I passed on the positive comments to the CF fabricator. Since making these relies on a talented worker, I want to keep them motivated to do a great job.

Next, I got in touch with some commercial sources for the hinge and latch for the lid. I'm getting some samples from the vendors for keyed latches as well as two different types of hinges that I think will fit.

Once those parts are in, I'll do a test fitment to confirm dimensions. Then will order some teflon plastic for the hinge mount, latch striker plate, and mounts for the rear infill panel.

So, things are moving along. Thank you for all the positive comments.

JMZG
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nice work on the tail. I would love to see some of the plastic side panels made, with the tabs and all. I bet you could sell a load of them.
James

MitchT
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JMZG wrote:
Nice work on the tail. I would love to see some of the plastic side panels made, with the tabs and all. I bet you could sell a load of them.
James

I have looked into making side panels, and they are on the radar, as soon as I get the tail project to the point where it needs to be.

Regarding the pins on the side panels, I had a thread on this issue a little while ago about a problem that I had with one of my broken pins.

http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=55046

Long story short, I'm not a fan of the existing pin system. It serves well for new panels, but as they age and get brittle, the pins break, or worse, cause the panel to crack. Also, carbon fibre is not a good material to make pins like the ones our bikes require. Too many sharp bends need to be made.

However, my magnet solution is working well on my bike, so if I do the side panels, that will be a solution that will be tested.

lapoltba
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you can locate them properly, you can always use something like this McMaster part: (Can't get a direct link) it's part #97590A551

They are available in several lengths and you could probably just an almuminum knob or somethign threaded on.

f4fast
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

mitcht wrote:
Long story short, I'm not a fan of the existing pin system. It serves well for new panels, but as they age and get brittle, the pins break, or worse, cause the panel to crack. Also, carbon fibre is not a good material to make pins like the ones our bikes require. Too many sharp bends need to be made.

Carbon Fiber sidepanels that use a Dzus fastener would be trick . That's what Honda used on the race bikes like the 82 Spencer bike.

I think the Maier reproduction plastic side panels are molded to use some type of fastening system like that.

motomoon
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The magnet attachment idea is an elegant solution.
Very nice work on the CF tail!

MitchT
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

I got a selection of sample latches this week, and found a good fit for the application

This part is unique as it uses a shape for the key, rather than the sort of keys we are used to. Upside is that it's more durable, better quality, and is made of stainless steel. Not having a traditional key means no path for water to enter the tail. It even comes with a thin gasket for between the latch and the cover!

The recessed triangle makes it theft resistant, but I wouldn't put any real valuables in there anyway. I have less expensive options on the table, but none as good quality as this one. It's a real jewel.

I also tested out the gasket material for the door frame. the lid fits without rattling, and is flush with the surface of the tail.

The hinge for the lid is here, and I'm seeing how best to fit it. I also drilled the seat mounting holes on the part.

This lid has the indent for the stock Honda latch assembly. While this latch fits in the indent, I want to see if I can remove the 'teardrop' shape and make it a round indent. If not, I'll just make the surface of the tail flat. The indent is a wax catcher anyway.

I'll keep you informed as things happen. Once we have the hinge done, I can do the mounting points for the infill panel, and we're ready to go!

MitchT
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

OK, got the last little bits solved, waiting for some teflon from McMaster-Carr and then it will be finished.

Hopefully, will have it done the weekend of July 4th.

Craigside_Pete
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

A brilliant idea and a lovely piece of work.

I like the thougt and effort on the quality and functionality of the lock but did have a giggle at this:
MitchT wrote:
The recessed triangle makes it theft resistant, but I wouldn't put any real valuables in there anyway.

I think the value of the tail itself is going to be much more than anything I'd normally keep on a motorbike!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic