\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 73,654,116
  • Today: 37,024
Server InfoServer Info
  • May 02, 2024
  • 04:34 pm PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
Batan
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Jaime wrote:
Just by chance, surfing the internet I found this article, funny thing, it vindicates / countenances my position on this issue.

Check it out:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-tires/sizes.htm

Jaime._________________________________________________________

Sweeeeet! I just read it. Seems like he's in total agreement with you. I'm wondering what everybody else things about this?

MikeL
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

Batan wrote:
Jaime wrote:
Just by chance, surfing the internet I found this article, funny thing, it vindicates / countenances my position on this issue.

Check it out:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-tires/sizes.htm

Jaime._________________________________________________________

Sweeeeet! I just read it. Seems like he's in total agreement with you. I'm wondering what everybody else things about this?

Looks like he revised his position when he wore out his BT45's, and is now back to "stock" sizes on Metzeler Lazertecs.. Here's his later, rebutting article:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-tires/metzeler-lasertec/

Just FYI.

spartan8ball
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

My bike has (had) a 130-80-18 on the rear, and the edges are near new, the middle is flat bald. I only put about 200 miles on them myself, the tires were shot when I got the bike. After thinking about it, I got a used 120-90-18 (the correct size) from natscape. Sitting the two tires side by side, you can scarcely tell the difference in width.

I can only ascertain that the middle of my tire was worn flat because it was too wide for the rim, thus the inside was squeezed, forcing the round-ness of the profile to stretch out into a lsightly more oval shape, thus putting more of the middle of the tread in contact with the road, and less of the edges, which, ultimately, defeats the purpose of putting on a wider tire. I suppose you could put less air in the "flatten" it out a bit, but that could be more dangerous.

I'm sticking with the stock sizes until I get a wider rim/swingarm.

sonicrete
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

The artical mentions the same thing I have said for ages.

Get the "tire fitment guide" that each manufacturer supplys. Read the mounted size listed not just the section where the "recommend" a certain tire.

You will find the size on the sidewall,both width and height does not have a damn thing to do with the actual size of the tire measured with a ruler. It also gives the recommended width of the rim and usually the rim width the measurements were taken.

The natural bend of the carcas sitting unmounted is also important as well. Some tires the unmounted bead separation is exactly the same as the rim,some are very wide. This means if the rim is too small it "pinches in" the bead and changes the shape of the tire.

elcman
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

MikeG wrote:
My comment was aimed at nobody in particular, but I am always amazed at how people think they can out engineer the Honda and Bridgestone engineers by mixing and matching and changing sizes. I am in the engineering business, and we spend a lot of time and money optimizing design decisions like this using established engineering and scientific principles. The chances of backyard experimenters coming up with something better are pretty slim.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha BS,

First this is engineering from 30 years ago. Second we are working with tire sizes that fit rims that were designed 30 years ago but no one company make exact replacements for. Third you assume that what you or any other engineer does on paper makes it to the production line exactly as you planned. Fourth there are some on this board that are also engineers, racers or whatever and probably DO come up with better ideas then Honda did.

What you and all those who argue like you ("do you really think you can outsmart an engineer") forget is that all of that "engineering" has constraints such as final price point, application, etc. Who cares if you work in the engineering industry, lots of processes and new technologies come from "back yard experimenters" for example Vulcanized rubber. Basically your argument is "if it takes us man years and mountains of money you can't possibly do it yourself" and that sir is crap.

As for the tires it is as easy to look at Bridgestone's specs side by and realize the s11 and the BT45 are NOT the same size given the same sizing. As far as choice goes someones made a comment about application? Bt45s are sport touring tire, why would they be incorrect for our bikes? S11 and BT45 are perfectly comparable. Personally I like to go with common availability and the S11 in 100/90-19 and 120/90-18 are available every where as are 110/90-18 and 130/80-18.

grant

TonyCR
Black CB900F
Black CB900F

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

has anybody have try these ones Question

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/14977

seems to fit our rims. read the comments. what cross-ply means Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic