\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 73,227,809
  • Today: 7,457
Server InfoServer Info
  • Apr 16, 2024
  • 11:23 am PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
Sam36
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

well i guess i am the next person to add another "thread of shame"

well i ordered a new set of tires for the bike i have been waiting for them to come in. so in the mean time i figured i would finish these old ones off. been doing alot of riding down dirt roads and places like that where i would normally not take my bike since i dont want get it dirty or mess the tires up.

well anyway i was on my way back from work and there is a big open ditch beside the road down the road from there. figured what the hell so i cut off down into it and was playing dirt bike and such, spinning tires and what have you. was going about 30mph and was going back up onto the bank to get back on the road when i ran over a large wash out hole from a pipe that ran under the road that went to the other ditch on the other side of the road. i remember seeing it and thinking "great i am going to bottom my shocks out again. ran over it and it hit HARD. next thing i know was the bike is layed over sliding on the groung and I was still sitting on it in the same riding position.

got up, picked the bike up. right side blinkers torn off, front tire fender torn, headlight mount bent bad, handle bars bent and throttle assembly broken. stood there for awhile dazed trying to figure out what happened. wasnt really hurt, scrapped arm and sore wrist.

thing i really dont get is what the hell happened. yes i shouldnt have been playing dirt bike with such i nice bike. yes i ran over a giant hole on the side of the bank. but i really have no memory after the front tire hitting the hole till when i picked the bike back up. its like the impact blacked me out or something. looking at the crash scene you see a tire trail going over the hole and continuing about 20 feet and then you see some ruts where the bike felll over. dont know, its like it just happned instant or something. im kinda thinking maybe the bounce of the impact made my foot go down on the back brake or something, i know when i picked the bike up it was in neutral. it was either in 3rd or 2nd when i hit. so maybe the impact made me hit the gear shifter too. but still that wouldnt explain the tire trail continuing for 20ft after the hole.

this all really scares me because i have ran over some BIG holes before on the street. yea i know the steet vs grass. but still what if one day i run over a hole like that on the road? one minute im driving, then the next i got road rash from hell all over me?

so what is the proper procedure for running over a big hole on a bike if you have no other option? i usually just stand up off of the seat alittle bit. is that right? or should i just stay sitting down?

thinking about selling the bike i dont know, would probably fix it up first.

Confused

Last edited by Sam36 on Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total 
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pontiacstogo
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sam36 wrote:
...there is a big open ditch beside the road... ...so i cut off down into it and was playing dirt bike and such, spinning tires... ...was going about 30mph... ...up onto the bank to get back on the road when i ran over a large wash out hole...

Are you serious?

Sorry about your fall, but I would think most people don't ride their SS's in a ditch. I'm willing to bet that keeping to the road will significantly reduce the chances of a repeat performance Shocked .

Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DITTO.

Ride your street bike on the street. Treat your 26yr old bike like - it's a 26yr old bike - with some care and respect. Flailing around in the ditch playing dirt bike - sell your 'F and get a dirt bike. Man, just asking for trouble, and you got your share.

Sorry about your wreck, truly. Hope you mend quickly.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sam36
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

yea pretty stupid thing, worst thing was that a few people from work saw me, and they didnt even stop! im sure i will be the talk of the week Rolling Eyes

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zondar
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
thing i really dont get is what the hell happened.
My guess is street tires and grass. Maybe a little braking too. I took a shortcut one time on my 350 Kawi triple and when I went across the wet grass I was instantly on the ground. There was a slight angle to the ground too. Our tires are much better these days but the design is for pavement and maybe wet pavement. I don't have an F but if I did I wouldn't take it off road ever. Dirt roads even make me nervous so I stay off those as much as I can too.

Going through potholes. Keep the bike as straight as possible and weight the pegs for balance. From dirt riding I've learned to watch out for the back end kicking up too. Shocked I didn't get flung over the bars but I had a good opportunity to do a tire inspection. This isn't something that would usually happen on a street bike but I did have a close call going through some road construction on the interstate once.

MinnesotaF
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have rode my 1100F on plenty of off road trails. Know your limits and you will be fine. It is fun to get out into the woods on the big thing, and you get lots of strange looks if you encounter anyone.

PITERGORDI
Black CB900F
Black CB900F

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

MinnesotaF wrote:
I have rode my 1100F on plenty of off road trails. Know your limits and you will be fine. It is fun to get out into the woods on the big thing, and you get lots of strange looks if you encounter anyone.

i too have ventured into the wilderness knowing the bike and my limits.
got in, scooby snacked and back out.

maybe should have "walked" it over the ditch Rolling Eyes dont know...either way that really sucks...fix it Very Happy

ps....was there ever lost or missing minutes during this time? cant expalin for some missing time or any sore body parts not associated with the slide?
oh yeah or any black heliocopters in the area?

urhere
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hard knocks to the head, even with a helmet, can make you black out for a moment. I fell off a bicycle about 15 years ago and still don't know how it happened. I didn't think anything was wrong until I got to work, washed up in the bathroom, went out the door, and had no idea how to get back to my office.
Jim

Sam36
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

PITERGORDI wrote:

ps....was there ever lost or missing minutes during this time? cant expalin for some missing time or any sore body parts not associated with the slide?
oh yeah or any black heliocopters in the area?

my bike fell over on the right side and i stayed on it in the riding position untill it stopped sliding. so yea i expect cuts & scrapes on my right side but i also have a knot with a scrape on it near my left wrist, and good knot on my left knee (nothing wrong with the right one) and a large dent with scrape marks on the TOP of my gas tank. what the hell could have hit the top of the tank and left scrape marks?

fasterspider
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to the club but only if you keep the bike and fix it.
If you crash, you get up, brush yourself off and get back on the horse and go home to fix what broke.
It took me almost a month to get back on because I was really hurt, but I aint selling my crashed bike. You must have bumperd your head, you will be ok. Razz

jons
Black CB900F
Black CB900F

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sam36 wrote:
yea pretty stupid thing, worst thing was that a few people from work saw me, and they didnt even stop! im sure i will be the talk of the week Rolling Eyes

Hummm, things seem to be different in Texas.

Weekend_Junkie
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sam36 wrote:
what the hell could have hit the top of the tank and left scrape marks?

Perhaps your face?

I did some research a while back on memory creation, recollection, and erasing. Basically, you have neurons in your brain that cause electricity to spark (process called synaps). You brain uses energy, carbs and what-not, to create that spark. If you crash a bike or are about to crash a bike, your brain starts changing gears. Go ahead and bump your head at a moment like that and basically you overload your brain (sensory overload) so that the synaps doesnt occur correctly, completely or at all. What you're left with is lost moments that you logically know were there but you don't recall experiencing.

If you have a full face helmet, I wouldnt doubt that is what hit your tank. You may also have been wearing a big belt buckle and leaned onto the tank.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CB900SS
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

PITERGORDI wrote:

i too have ventured into the wilderness knowing the bike and my limits.
got in, scooby snacked and back out.

Skooby snacks, hehe...

Weekend_Junkie wrote:
Sam36 wrote:
what the hell could have hit the top of the tank and left scrape marks?

Perhaps your face?

Bahahahahahaha..... sorry that was just the reaction when I read this line.

Sorry about the crash, keep the F'ing bike on the street, and if you do go venturing off road again dont mess around!

And like Ray said, dust yourself off, fix that thing and get back on the "ROAD" Rolling Eyes

larryg
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

in the late 70s, on the way back from laconia, my buddy and i decided to pull over for a little puff. we ended up pulling off down a power line. it was like a jeep trail but very worn down on each side. being competitive with each other we pinned em and just started roosting, next thing i know my bike stops dead, i mean right now, and i'm flying over the bars. i had no idea what the hell just happened. i was still racing mx at the time so crashing in the dirt was a pretty common occurence. this was not. turns out my 650 yamahas center stand grabbed a cable that was burried in the side of the trail. my bike pulled up some of it but not much! even bent my center stand. like the friggin movies.

i am like you though sam, i like to disect what happened and make sure it doesnt happen again. but in this case it might be a simple case of staying off the dirt.

tambri
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sam, WTF were you thinking? (oh wait, you weren't.....)

I used to "beat" on an old 650 twin Yamaha by riding it in the back pastures, but that was a little twin and I'm a pretty big boy. Was able to muscle it around enough that I *could* ride it like a dirt bike.
These F's are just too much bike to get ignorant with! Don't sell that bike, chances are you'll end up getting back into biking some day, and might just get yourself in trouble with something newer i.e. faster... than what you've got already!

Look into a MSF course, ride (ON the road) a bit more and keep your head in the game, man. Chances are if you'd have been driving down the road and seen some knuckle-head riding a four cylinder bike in the median/ditch/grass/dirt/whatever, YOU would think him a little off in the head now wouldn't you Shocked

Sam36
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

well thinks for the support everyone. sure was a nice day today, sure felt like going on a ride... guess i wont be selling it after all Idea

Bladedanxa
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Glad your gunna stick with it Sam.

I'm a great believer in finding the limits in all situations to become a better rider. Sometime that means falling on your face. I love getting my CB out in gravel and fanging it along, out ran a mate along a fire access track in the bush one time on her when he was riding an XR650. We were sitting on about 130kph most of it till we hit the main gravel road and wound her up to 170kph. I spent my first few years playing with all the situations that people tell you not to do, I rode back and forth over tram tracks, went bush bashing, always ride all through winter and get her sideways whenever I have the chance. My argument is that if I hadnt done that sort of thing then there have been numerous situations involving cages that probably would have taken me out without the skills I learnt.

That said, I've falled over more than once. Smile Even flat on my face at 80kph once. Still wish I'd kept that visor.

Bladedanxa
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh and one other point.

ALWAYS WEAR PROTECTIVE GEAR!!!!

With motorbikes its not if you fall off its when you fall off.

Sam36
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

anybody have that assembly that holds the start button/ignition shutoff switches laying around and want to get rid of it? mines all broke to hell Mad

they are on epay but i am afraid that i am going to have to fight some people to get a good one.

cb1100fer
Rest in Peace

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Here's one for $10 BIN and you don't have to fight anyone for it. Wink

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-79-CB750K-DOHC-RIGHT-CONTROL-HOUSING-NR-CB7-73Q_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35594QQitemZ4634551076QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

CB1100F Can red (avatar)
CB1100F Can red (soon to be for sale)
CB1100F Can red (new project codenamed "Phoenix")
CB1100F Can blue (daily rider)
CB1100F U.S. red
CB900F 81 blk 
Sam36
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

cb1100fer wrote:
Here's one for $10 BIN and you don't have to fight anyone for it. Wink

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-79-CB750K-DOHC-RIGHT-CONTROL-HOUSING-NR-CB7-73Q_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35594QQitemZ4634551076QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
[img]http://i6.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/ee/ce/32_1_b.JPG[/g]

yea i think i saw that one. there is one on there that is in better shape, i will probably be getting that one but thanks for trying to help me out though, appreciate it Very Happy

motnick
Black CB900F
Black CB900F

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How about this?

F/S throttle

Sam36
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

motnick wrote:
How about this?

F/S throttle

looks like a deal, i will look into it more once i get back from work

motnick
Black CB900F
Black CB900F

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I almost forgot I had it. It is all boxed up and has been sitting in my desk for a few months that way. PM me your address if you decide you want it. I will PM you mine so you can send the $$ my way as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic