\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 41,345,754
  • Today: 13,833
Server InfoServer Info
  • Oct 21, 2020
  • 08:49 am PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
hondahondahonda
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

So, through a member of the board here, I found out that some toyotas used
25mm diameter shims. I got to thinking..."hmm, I have 3 toyota cyl. heads sitting home full of shims." so yesterday I got home, checked them out and they are all the right size!! now most of them are about the same thickness, being right around 2.7-3.0mm. regardless, I had the right ones to adjust my valves without buying any shims. For anyone else interested, the cylinder heads were off of the 1.6 litre 4age engine.
while I was home I also installed right and left sport controls, rewired all the turn signals and horn. removed all calipers to rebuild them and two extras I have, and other minor things to let it know I still love it...this is the first i have touched it in over 2 months!!! Crying or Very sad

Anywho, I wanted to share my excitement with some good ole' F'ers.
Ian

INTIMIDA2OR
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

That is very cool and you just reminded me i need to go out to the local boneyard because they have those 1.6's by the dozens , and they're small enough to be freebies Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
JSGAuto
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

About how old is that motor? (so I know what to look for!)

Fster
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If I go to a boneyard for shims how do they come out of those 1.6 litre heads?

hondahondahonda
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

the heads I got the shims out of were from a 1986 4-AGE motor, the shims are over the buckets, so all ou have to do is pull the cams out and pop the shims out. simple, especially if youre pickin them out of boneyard motors cause you dont have to worry about timing or any of that junk.

almost all the ones i gotthough were on the thicker side, it was a newer engine though, so maybe some with higher mileage will have thinner shims. good luck!!

Ian

JSGAuto
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just being lazy,

This is the DOHC motor correct? (the toyota, not the F!)

Thanks!
Jim

INTIMIDA2OR
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

hondahondahonda wrote:
the heads I got the shims out of were from a 1986 4-AGE motor, the shims are over the buckets, so all ou have to do is pull the cams out and pop the shims out. simple, especially if youre pickin them out of boneyard motors cause you dont have to worry about timing or any of that junk.

almost all the ones i gotthough were on the thicker side, it was a newer engine though, so maybe some with higher mileage will have thinner shims. good luck!!

Ian

Hmmm.... Confused you got me thinkin' there .
I wonder how many toyota owners adjust their valves cause that may be the reason they made it to the boneyard.
Oh well i'll find that answer out tomorrow when i go a hunting Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Matt at PSB
Rest in Peace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Also know that all the brand new valve shims you want are readily available from 25 X 2.30mm to 25 X 3.20mm on .05mm increments for $4.76USD each and if you purchase five of the same size they are $22.17 for a bag of five + postage from me to you.

I know that this is not as much fun as ripping defenseless Toyotas to pieces at the junkyard, but think of it as a fallback position.

hondahondahonda
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JSGAuto wrote:
Just being lazy,

This is the DOHC motor correct? (the toyota, not the F!)

Thanks!
Jim

yes, DOHC and the engine code is 4-AGE, this engine also came in some geo's of the time, and some camry's and carollas.

good luck!!

INTIMIDA2OR
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well i was at the boneyard today and had some fun
ripping out the shims (literally) Shocked Twisted Evil
So what happens when a highly determined F'er
goes to a boneyard with only a pair of pliers and a bulky 10mm ratchet wrench trying to get shims out of a toyota camery head Question Question Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil
)))Brace your self(((
Notice the remnants of some cam caps that didn't want to move but broke instead, and the spark plug tunnels, and the broken cam Shocked Shocked Shocked

I had to get the shims out one way or another and it didn't involve riding all the way back home to get the correct tools!
So i found a big ass sway bar off some car and used it to pry the cams out of the head.
Need less to say the cams gave up quite easy , but one broke in 2 and i couldn't get all 16 shims Crying or Very sad
But i got 14 the easy way Very Happy
Leverage rules!!!!
And you can't beat free Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Any way this motor was high mileage and the shims were all different thicknesses ranging from 280 to 230 .
So it looks like shims from a higher mileage toyota will have thinner shims Very Happy
At least now i know exactly what tools i need for this job ,i just gotta decide how much fun i want to have Razz Razz Razz

Matt at PSB
Rest in Peace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

INTIMIDA2OR wrote:
goes to a boneyard with only a pair of pliers and a bulky 10mm ratchet wrench trying to get shims out of a toyota camery head Question Question Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil
)))Brace your self(((
Notice the remnants of some cam caps that didn't want to move but broke instead, and the spark plug tunnels, and the broken cam Shocked Shocked Shocked

I had to get the shims out one way or another and it didn't involve riding all the way back home to get the correct tools!
So i found a big ass sway bar off some car and used it to pry the cams out of the head.
Need less to say the cams gave up quite easy , but one broke in 2 and i couldn't get all 16 shims Crying or Very sad
Leverage rules!!!!

Any way this motor was high mileage and the shims were all different thicknesses ranging from 280 to 230 .
So it looks like shims from a higher mileage toyota will have thinner shims Very Happy
At least now i know exactly what tools i need for this job ,i just gotta decide how much fun i want to have Razz Razz Razz

Oue Vye, and he is proud of himself? Rolling Eyes I hope he does not go to any used auto part venders near me. Shocked Imagine if you needed a camshaft or a camshaft bearing cap to keep your Toyota running and some fracking Cave Man was there before you with a five foot pry bar stealing just the shims! Embarassed

If that is too much of an intellectual leap of mechanical empathy imagine if you were at a used bikes parts vender & you were looking for a CB....F cam shaft bearing cap or head and some Rooster Sucking Toyota Cretin was there before you with a 5 foot pry bar steeling shims! Evil or Very Mad How would you feel then! Mad Fight Mad

Throw any bricks through any windows whilst you were at the "Junkyard"? Razz

Can we censure this guy & ban him from the site or something? Question

Totally unacceptable behavior! Evil or Very Mad

INTIMIDA2OR
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Matt at PSB wrote:
INTIMIDA2OR wrote:
)))Brace your self(((

Leverage rules!!!!

Oue Vye, and he is proud of himself? Rolling Eyes I hope he does not go to any used auto part venders near me. Shocked Imagine if you needed a camshaft or a camshaft bearing cap to keep your Toyota running and some fracking Cave Man was there before you with a five foot pry bar stealing just the shims! Embarassed

If that is too much of an intellectual leap of mechanical empathy imagine if you were at a used bikes parts vender & you were looking for a CB....F cam shaft bearing cap or head and some Rooster Sucking Toyota Cretin was there before you with a 5 foot pry bar steeling shims! Evil or Very Mad How would you feel then! Mad Fight Mad

Geez Matt i didn't know you cared Embarassed

I guess i shouldn't have made it look as though this is my usual everyday yippee-ki-yay manner ...
It isn't Exclamation
Well you need not worry about someone scavenging parts off that car because shortly after the whole line of cars including that caveman ravaged piece is now as flat as a sheet of paper so it was dealt a far more fierce beating than i could have ever given it.
Yes they threatned to crush that POS asap whether or not i had gotten my parts or not, so i resorted to the most extreme brute force for immediate removal of the shims or well i would have gotten nothing.

This junkyard crushes everything even if the car is still whole, even the nicest of bikes that end up in there.Yes i've even witnessed whole F's being crushed(among countless other valuable and precious vehicles) and nobody can do much about that Mad
Imagine not being able to buy a perfect condition gas tank for an F because the state of california won't allow sale of "scrap"gas tanks and they just crush it?
How's that grab ya?

Oh well glad to know i can get a rise out of you Razz Razz Razz

I did what i had to do and that's that Wink

Oh and it was a little fun like you said it would be Rolling Eyes

hondahondahonda
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

INTIMIDA2OR wrote:
Matt at PSB wrote:
INTIMIDA2OR wrote:
)))Brace your self(((

Leverage rules!!!!

Geez Matt i didn't know you cared Embarassed

I guess i shouldn't have made it look as though this is my usual everyday yippee-ki-yay manner ...
It isn't Exclamation
Well you need not worry about someone scavenging parts off that car because shortly after the whole line of cars including that caveman ravaged piece is now as flat as a sheet of paper so it was dealt a far more fierce beating than i could have ever given it.
Yes they threatned to crush that POS asap whether or not i had gotten my parts or not, so i resorted to the most extreme brute force for immediate removal of the shims or well i would have gotten nothing.

This junkyard crushes everything even if the car is still whole, even the nicest of bikes that end up in there.Yes i've even witnessed whole F's being crushed(among countless other valuable and precious vehicles) and nobody can do much about that Mad
Imagine not being able to buy a perfect condition gas tank for an F because the state of california won't allow sale of "scrap"gas tanks and they just crush it?
How's that grab ya?

Oh well glad to know i can get a rise out of you Razz Razz Razz

I did what i had to do and that's that Wink

Oh and it was a little fun like you said it would be Rolling Eyes

hey like you said, you did what you had to, and that seems ok to me. Same thing with our junkyard here in NY with crushing everything...however, I have become friends with a few of the employees, so they can sorta set aside certain things that I really want or need. Thats all you gotta do. the best move I ever made as a mechanic was to gain friends in the junkyard business.
Another thing, unfortunately it is almost common practice at our junkyard to use whatever force necesary to remove parts from a vehicle...most of the population around here really are cavemen looking for a fuel pump for their minivan thats worth $50... Rolling Eyes or punk kids destroying import cars for a radio or something stupid...oh well.

Ian

Matt at PSB
Rest in Peace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I must admit that never occurred to me. I forget about how they do things in California as often as I can.

"They" have tried to pass the crush everything laws here to only to be thrashed by the voters. The cities all have crush everything laws here now and they enforce it with great zeal like they are doing somebody a favor or something.

My straight as an arrow, complete, 1970 Dodge W200 (3/4 ton 4WD) big block truck got impounded by the city "Environmentalists" because it sat on a city street for two months before I owned it with expired plates & a caved in windshield. I could not find the Titleholder of the W200 because he had gotten divorced, owed people money and moved Back East with the intention of not being found or returning to Missoula. By the time I found him the "Toxic Waste Clean Up Board" had impound the truck and were one hour away from crushing it. The "Toxic Waste Clean Up Board" would hear nothing of me saving the truck until I had a notarized letter from the Titleholder and I went to the Mayor of Missoula. The mayor made a few phone calls & I towed the W200 away when it was third in line for the crusher & second in line had already been speared with a giant forklift. $94USD saved this W200 from the crushing grip of the Enviromentals. Now He (the W200) is my daily 383 4speed manual driver & drag the dead elk out of the mountains rig.

This W200 was rust free & dent free with the original 383 in it & those SOBs were hell bent on crushing it! Rolling Eyes

Did I mention I oppose mandatory crush laws and I spend a lot of time in used auto parts vender's yards looking for obsolete parts. I hardly ever go to "Junkyards" and man do the guys at the used auto parts venders get pissed off when you refer to their business as a "Junkyard".

So, yes I care. Very Happy

INTIMIDA2OR
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

WoW good luck save on the W200 Exclamation Cool

Yeah i like the used auto parts venders ,at least they care about the valuable parts and try to sell them instead of crushing them Rolling Eyes
Cali junkyards suck ... I witnessed a 69 charger get crushed and just recently a 73 dodge challenger too Mad Mad Mad
Shoulda seen the people that tried to plea and save 'em but to no avail.

So i frequent all the junkyards in the socal and try and scavenge every juicy part i can cause they're cheap but valuable and to somone the can be priceless , and those SOB's running them do not care about R/T or S/E or anything for that matter.
But i do Very Happy

Da_Hose
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

I feel ya Matt.

I am actively looking for a 1975 Jeep Wagoneer. It's the newest Jeep I can get that I don't have to smog. In LA you are a pigdog for driving an SUV. Makes absolutely no sense. Now that I am back in Nor Cal where it RAINS and we actually get inclement weather I see that need for something that has 4WD and some grunt under the hood. My other car is a 1973 BMW so I am always scavenging for goodies myself.

Jose

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic