\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 41,552,109
  • Today: 22,393
Server InfoServer Info
  • Oct 26, 2020
  • 11:55 am PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
BlitzCanuck
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Got out in the middle of nowhere today and was able to open the throttle fully for a couple of minutes....and yet it topped out at only 125 mph.
How can this be? I'm certain i read somewhere that the stock 1100's were capable of 147mph.

It was a calm day; no wind at all.
The bike is stock except the exhaust. It's been tuned, carbs cleaned and synched recently, oil, filter, plugs and wires changed, Seafoam.....the whole nine yards....the bike seems to run very well.

So, can anyone think of a possible reason that i'm missing 20+ mph?
Surely my 240 pounds wouldn't mean a loss of 20+mph....would it?

PapaLuker
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

BlitzCanuck wrote:
Got out in the middle of nowhere today and was able to open the throttle fully for a couple of minutes....and yet it topped out at only 125 mph.
How can this be? I'm certain i read somewhere that the stock 1100's were capable of 147mph.

The bike is stock except the exhaust. It's been tuned, carbs cleaned and synched recently, oil, filter, plugs and wires changed, Seafoam.....the whole nine yards....the bike seems to run very well.

Uh.... Yeh! Confused 147 was brand new with a 100 pound Asian in the saddle..!

Bumbstead
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

140 extra pounds and almost a quarter of a century later, and you still want it to go like it did from the factory! That's optomism!

SuperSportCB750F
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

lol..they have a point. i mean time changes things.. Unless it was all rebuilt head to toe, plus you take a way 140 lbs.. then yes. It is said that weigth will not affect top speed, just acceleration 9 i am quoting a show from the discovery channel) but it will if it s balanced in correctly or causes more drag (by way more air resistance, etc) I dunno, that just what i'm told

razor02097
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

you can try a new sproket combo and pick up 5 or 10 MPH but probably won't get to 147.

some person I know's 900F did 115 at 8000 RPM before he let off that was a 16/44 sproket combo and stock wheels.

BlitzCanuck
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

PapaLuker wrote:

I figured this might be the case but then i'm sure i've seen some guys on this forum claim to reach that speed or even higher.....must be a larger Asian membership here than i thought. Wink

Hasn't Spider claimed to have done 200+? Surprised

SuperSportCB750F
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Hasn't Spider claimed to have done 200+?

I don't know about this per-say, but i do know his bikes are far from stock

PapaLuker
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

BlitzCanuck wrote:
PapaLuker wrote:

I figured this might be the case but then i'm sure i've seen some guys on this forum claim to reach that speed or even higher.....must be a larger Asian membership here than i thought. Wink

Hasn't Spider claimed to have done 200+? Surprised

Yeh!! But he's "Special" roflmaoroflmaoroflmaoroflmaoroflmao

LurkerXX
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

Location: Up ahead and through the next corner on any given road in SWVA...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Are you sure you were in fifth gear? Wink Twisted Evil

Actually you should be thankful. Rolling Eyes Mine gets really, really scary right after that. Instability in unbraced frames at those speeds is a bitch. Thank the Deity of your choice for 4 lane roads and looooong radius corners. Laughing

There is something wrong with your F if 125 is all ya got though. I weigh 320 and mine will YANK me through that speed Shocked ....quickly... Cool

Did you really claim to do 200 Ray? Shocked On/In what? Shocked Dayyum.... Laughing

spideray
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

No Spider has not claimed to 200. I have never even gone 150 but all of my speedos are capable of reading that speed if my bikes could go that fast.
I have gone 140 on one CB1100F and 138 on the other going down hill with the wind at my back. That was before they were morphed into Super F's.
Now I do not need to do it but I do know the bikes go very fast.

SuperSportCB750F
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yea 115 is this fastest i have gone. Now keep in mind i have a 750.... i was in fifth but it wasn't topped out, close, but not yet. No kidding ya'll ...a buddy mine was with me in his accord clocking me. But once I hit 100 i am scared shitless

mhewitt
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

BlitzCanuck wrote:

i remember, about 20 years ago(!), when the one i had then was only about 3 years old, getting only 225kmh - what's that in mph? - i was pretty disappointed

then i rode a new demonstator gpz900r and saw the high side of 240kmh - i thought i'd seen god!

it just got sillier & sillier after that; the highest i've seen is an indicated 275kmh...

wonder what 300 looks like?

by the way, the only way you'll get 200mph on a 1100f is with a rocket up your clacker!

sonicrete
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Unless you are using GPS or radar the stock speedo could be off that much.

Big idea is to compare both speedo and tach,if you were turning 9000 RPM in top gear it is faster than 125 MPH.

Back in the past I indicated almost 140 MPH carrying double,me and my son,trying to keep up with my buddy on his GSXR carrying my other son,yes I know it was stupid. In my case I weighed about 190 and my kid at least 100. The bike was just begining a speed wobble so that was the end of my speed and why I could not catch the GSXR.

The funny part is I had planned to slow down when I passed this auction house where a cop usually set. We blew past it before I realized where it was. There was another guy riding a little bike with us and we later stopped up the road he asked us if we had seen the cop. I said lets take off before he gets here.

cceretti
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

The fastest i've had my stock 900f to is 205 KPH...i'm doin the math and coming up with 127.2 MPH. That was back in 1996. I was weighing about 200 then and was on a perfectly flat stretch of highway nicely lined with tall trees(no wind). A friend was with me side by side and he was reading identical numbers. Problem being...he was on a stock stock stock 1984 Honda Shadow 500. Pretty sad eh? I could not get an inch on that 500 shadow in top gear at wide open throttle. I had him on acceleration...but he soon caught up and stayed there. I still have nightmares about hitting that speed wobble on my 900f while a 500 shadow rides along side me waving and laughing. My 1100f has yet to see those speeds due to a bent swingarm, but another is supposedly in the mail from another member. I'm sure that my stock 1100f will do better than 127.2 MPH tho. I can bring it to about 115 now before the wobble gets too hard to hold onto and there seems to be lots of jam left so some nice straight parts installed should let me wind 'er out. I'll be sure to post the results. The guy riding the shadow also posted my 900f's fastest ET so maybe it was just my driving...i dunno. He pulled a 12.05@ 106 out of the poor thing. I felt bad for it. He can ride tho.

tambri
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Let me start out by clarifying... this was quite a few years ago!!

My 1100 had only the Mikuni's and the V&H done at that time, plus my @225lb. butt, It got up around 130-135... Even back then (my early 20's) I didn't have the cohones to look at the speedo long enough for clarification... never got bad wobbles though, felt like floating somewhat.

INTIMIDA2OR
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Should have gotten a Red bike or at least a black one Razz Razz Razz

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
eatpasta
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

yea.... mine is only comfortible up to about 120.... doesnt like to go much past that.

Andylarkin
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

eatpasta wrote:
yea.... mine is only comfortible up to about 120.... doesnt like to go much past that.

My R said 150 on the speedo - the police speed trap said 140mph. I had my head flat on the tank and it was not comfortable.

Actually I lie, the fastest I've ever been on the R was 140 on the speedo and it was captured by a timing gun at an old airfield. It said 138 so the speedo was not far out. On my F the fastest I have been is about 130 - I have to say it felt very comfortable and no handling issues.

Just my 5 p worth

Shocked

BlitzCanuck
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The cool thing was that at 125 it was rock steady.
That's why it was a bit disappointing....i felt i could've went faster.

boldorboy
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What's the altitude where you are? I've done an indicated 142 on mine at sea level before I owned it. At Colorado altitude I've only done an indicated 135... Just not enough O2 here.

How far off is my speedo... I don't know right now but I will after Bonneville Speed week this year! Cool

Zippy
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone know what 8000rpm in fifth on a stock CB900F is? I've done it a couple of times and it wont go any faster no matter how long the road or steep the hill Shocked . It seems to me about 120mph. Someone once said that you can estimate your speed by doubling the speed at half the rpm's, but i dont see how that can be true since different RPM means different horsepower (not really proportional). Question And 4000rpm is about 55mph Shocked Crying or Very sad .

BTW:~120mph w/me @170 lbs laying on gastank

valveshim
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, weight does affect top speed! There are two things necessary to overcome to achieve a certain speed: Rolling resistance and wind resistance.
Rolling resistance is subject to the weight, the tire contact patch and the surface.
While rolling resistance remains constant even with increasing speed, wind resistance goes up exponentially and consequently so does horsepower needed to overcome it.
If your bike required a true 110hp to achieve a true 140 mph, in order to go 154mph (10% more) your bike would need 33% more horsepower
(1.1x1.1x1.1) or approx 146. If your bike had 85hp at the rear wheel and was officially rated at 135mph (another big Honda) it would take approx 135 hp at the rear wheel (or maybe 160hp at the crank) to do 160 mph. Again, as said in another post, with the same 100 pound Japanese, 5'5" 100 lbs test rider.
Don't underestimate the effect of a "big frame" on top of your bike.
Next time that 6 ft 4 braggard who rides a non-fairing bike tells you he had his up to 165mph, you know he is pulling your leg.

voxonda
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys,

I agree with 'valveshim'. I've heart of some amasing speeds over the years, but I can only verify what I've seen myself. On my 'stock' 900f I've never managed more then 215 kph. After 'tuning'(?) and a considerable weight loss, of the bike, not me, of about 30lbs I saw just 200 kph !!!. Then I realized that I had a AMA-style numberplate mounted. After removing it went about 220+kph. The biggest advantage came when I mounted a replica 1100R tophalf, model '81, without headlight cuttings, and without mirrors, lights, and with a lower screen. The needle went of the counter. Am not sure, but I must have hit 230+kph on a long straight with a slight tailwind. Think these are nice readings, but it's easier to buy a modern bike, and safer. I can't get my 25 year old 'beast' to stay in the 'slipstream'of my son's stock Fazer 600. Times change!

firemun59
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

tambri wrote:
Let me start out by clarifying... this was quite a few years ago!!

My 1100 had only the Mikuni's and the V&H done at that time, plus my @225lb. butt, It got up around 130-135... Even back then (my early 20's) I didn't have the cohones to look at the speedo long enough for clarification... never got bad wobbles though, felt like floating somewhat.

welcome back Tambri............its been awhile eh?..........oh and sonicretes post regarding the RPM vs speed seems the most logical....your tach wont lie but your speedo might........ Wink

Matt at PSB
Rest in Peace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I purchased my USA spec CB1100F with K&N pods, Dyno Jet Stage Three Kit, & wearing a Supertrapp 4 into 1 used with 1,500 miles on it. So , I never really had a stock one.

My CB1100F went the fastest right after the third set of valves were replaced with about 34-36,000 miles on the bottom end in the spring of 1989. That third set of valves was also accompanied by a fresh set of standard OEM pistons & rings and a new from Honda set of cylinders. The head work was done by Nigel himself, back when Patrick Racing was a performance & racing specialty shop. All the chains in the engine & the oil pump were also replaced with OEM parts: I mean what the hell I had it apart right? The (god-awful) stock CV carbs with K&N pods spent three days on Mark Dobeck's dyno after I spent 3 years trying to get the combo of one of his Dyno Jet Stage Three Kits, modified stock CV carbs & K&N pods to work right AND not burn up exhaust valves. All this with a WFO Supertrapp 4 into 1 and the 1100 would peg the 150MPH speedometer on demand but only if you removed the mirrors & turn signals first and put on tight fitting full leathers. With fuel consumption being 30-34 miles per US Gallon. Its top speed decreased & its fuel consumption increased gradually & steadily as the miles added up & the years rolled by.

Mark Dobeck went above & beyond the call of duty spending three days on the dyno with my fresh top end back in the spring of 89. He is a great guy. You cannot imagine how many times during that three-day dyno run he pleaded with me to "just buy a set of real carbs". Of course these pleas fell on deaf ears because I could not get my mind around the buy-in cost of smooth bores. Never the less Mr. Dobeck did me right though; he asked at the onset what I wanted to do with this bike. I told him I wanted a fast & powerful bike that would run for many years without burning any more exhaust valves. He achieved this by drilling three large holes in the CV slide bottoms & custom turned four individual slide needles in a lathe. Fuel would be used from that day forward as both a propellant & as a coolant.

In 2001 or 2002 with 92-94,000 miles on the same top end from the spring of 1989 I finally was able to mentally get my mind around the buy-in cost of the 33mm CR Specials. This was in part due to the fact that my now 94,000 mile heavily modified OEM CVs were getting impossible to tune, burning a US gallon in SEVENTEEN miles, running terrible until 5,800 RPM & then waking up like a light switch, and the bike was struggling to exceed 137 MPH. On went the CRs in about a half hour and bingo it would bury the 150 MPH speedo on demand again whilst getting 37 MPG. Or course she was an old dog now and oh boy would she get the weaves above 125 MPH. Still the 1100 & I had more or less grown old together & this high speed weave scared the other guys on new sportbikes more than it scared me. The high-speed weave scared me plenty, don

Midnight
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

voxonda wrote:

I agree with 'valveshim'. I've heart of some amasing speeds over the years, but I can only verify what I've seen myself. On my 'stock' 900f I've never managed more then 215 kph.

same results here, 215 kmh on the speedo with a little bit of throttle left but it really scared the hell out of me (see matt's post about high-speed weave..) I'm not used to driving that fast, not on this bike.

that was last year, I removed the huge turn signals for really small ones, the bike has lost a LOT of weight and I'm pretty damn lightweight myself, putting 150 lbs on the scale Razz
Also, I have Mikuni flatsides, a supertrapp 4-in-1 and a dyna 2000 installed, I wonder how much difference this will all make. The weight is probably the biggest issue, the bike lost a lot by replacing the heavy ass swingarm for a superlight one and ofcourse the cbr wheels are heaps lighter.

Which makes me think, these cbr wheels are smaller in diameter and the tires have a lower profile as well. which means it will lose top speed(??) I can allways change the sprockets but I'll see how it does this summer. She was pretty damn fast up to 190 kmh, after that you feel like the wind wants to throw you around. Maybe it's because I'm a lightweight Smile

pontiacstogo
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've one 100mph a couple of times on the 900, and it's felt very stable. I don't like to hang out long or often at those speeds though 'cause all I can think of is 25 year old metal and components.....

valveshim
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

It is being said among people who supposedly know, that Harley and Ducati speedos are the most accurate in the industry and BMWs are the worst. In some countries in Europe the speedo calibration from the factory MUST be fast by law!!! This is so to prevent people arguing themselves out of tickets claiming their speedo showed less than they went.
Consequently, many manufacturers there set their speedos at about 10% above the actual at around 100 kph.
The way most instruments work, this absolute difference remains constant, no matter how much faster you go.
I know for a fact, that the law in Germany requires a "certified" speedo to be within +/-0 and + 4% of the actual speed at 100 kph.

A remark to a post above: Tachometers are by no way more reliable than speedos. Especially when both are mechanically driven. And of course, if the engine rpm is 4,000 at 55mph, it will be 8,000 at 110mph, provided you are in the same gear. Sorry, but that was almost a stupid question!

razor02097
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

if you want to go 150mph go buy a sport bike.

BlitzCanuck
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

razor02097 wrote:
if you want to go 150mph go buy a sport bike.

Right, that was my goal.....to go 150 mph and i bought my 1100f for just that purpose. Rolling Eyes
Thanks for contributing to this thread to share that insightful nugget.

Ironic that it seems to exemplify the very definition of what you call a Postwhore according to what you posted in an earlier thread....... which i quote here:

"Postwhore- A post whore is somebody who posts mostly meaningless messages consisting of one sentance or just emoticons. They have an unsaid ability to magically appear in any thread at any given time for no reason. They also do not contribute to the said topic and suddenly appear to add crucial arguements to the debate at hand. These said crucial arguements include ground-breaking conjectures such as "what," "oh," or a curiously little smilie who is blue, and yet neither happy nor sad."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic