\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 72,897,937
  • Today: 14,730
Server InfoServer Info
  • Mar 28, 2024
  • 11:41 pm PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
CBX1260cc
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The wife and I like riding the 1100F (content Very Happy ) but thinking of adding something a bit more modern for two up riding.

Criteria:

Fuel Injection would be nice.

MUST have reasonable passenger accommodations (Read that as No SKY HIGH Passenger pegs or mini seat).

Prefer it NOT to be a BARGE (Read 700lbs+)

Reasonable range at touring speeds (say 200 miles).

BAGS / TRUNK not needed as we will likely rarely overnight only and will thus use back packs or tank bag if needed.

WHAT do you multiple bike owners recommend.

Thought about a GEN 1 Valkyrie but it has carburetors--and is kinda heavy.

Gen 2 Valkyrie is F.I. but looks kinda funky.

Honda Gold wing F6--again a heavyweight.

Kawasaki Concourse 1400--F.I. and comfy but again seems "barge like" Probably improves significantly once moving but until that "moving" stage I need to be able to maneuver bike (not getting any younger and not as strong as I used to be) in parking lots etc.

Harleys--WAY TOO HEAVY.

Indian--WAY TOO HEAVY.

ADV bikes--too TALL.

Triumph twin maybe??

Kawasaki ninja 1000XS--Nope. Looks to be a possibility but NO WAIT--The name NINJA doubles insurance rate.

Kawasaki z900RS--MAYBE--but is a bit tall for my 32 inseam.

Honda CB1100--retro--no enough get up and go.

Suzuki GS1250 Bandit--Gen II--fuel injected, passenger accommodations seems reasonable--it "looks" a TAD HEAVY and Tall--anyone have one who can chime in?

Yamaha FJR1300--this might be the bike. Anyone have one?

PLEASE give suggestions / input.

Thank you

sixdog
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have a 2001 Honda CBR1100XX and I love long distance riding on it.....

82 GS1000 Katana
80 Suzuki GS1000s Wes Cooley
83 Kawasaki KZ1000 ELR
82 Kawasaki GPZ1100B2
02 Honda CBR1100XX
86 VFR750
86 Yamaha FZ750
95 CBR900RR Urban Tiger 
tomk1960
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ricardo - I wouldn't hesitate to buy an FJR or a Kawasaki Concours. I've ridden both quite a bit and love them. They have tons of power, are comfortable, and they handle great. They'll come with hard bags painted to match and you can easily add a trunk/backrest for even more storage.

You won't see a lot of these new in dealer showrooms because they just aren't selling. But there are deals to be had on leftovers, or if you prefer used, there are plenty. The majority of owners are more mature riders and chances are you can find a nice used one that has been well taken care of.

CB1100F's - multiple flavors 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
CBX1260cc
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tom--Preference FJR or Concourse???

Reasons for the preference please.

Which do you think is LIGHTER?

Thank you

Alt1
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If your set on the sport touring style, then I agree the FJR is a really nice option. The Honda F6B and new Goldwing are really awesome bikes but sounds like they are heavier than you'd like.

However, since you dont need or want the bags, the Indian chief darkhorse and Indian Spring field both come in around 750lbs and would be my choice. Obviously still on the heavy side, but with a lower center of gravity its very manageable. The bikes are extremely nimble for their size and you'll get a larger driver and passenger seat than most of the sport touring bikes. Also, the seat height is 5inches lower than the FJR. The new ones come with a 116ci and the older ones have a 111ci motor. Both have tons of torque and power and makes for a fantastic long-range rider. I've had my Roadmaster for almost 2 years now and have absolutely zero complaints.

tomk1960
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ricardo - I liked both bikes for different reasons. The Concours had 1" risers for the bars which made the riding position perfect for me. I found it to be very comfortable. The FJR's bars were a little lower (no risers) and I felt it more in the wrists. But one thing it had that was really cool was a mode switch on the ride side control for sport or touring. In the sport mode, the bike was a freaking jackrabbit and a total blast. I would only use the touring mode with a passenger. Weight-wise, I didn't notice a big difference, but you could find the info online to compare.

Last year I took a used FJR out for a test ride. The dealer told me to "have at it" and I did. I jumped on the highway heading for Connecticut and was buzzing along nicely. The windshield was at the right angle and I felt no pushback as I accelerated. Suddenly I realized I was doing 120mph and it felt like 75. Holy crap!

I've taken the Concours at fairly high speeds on twisties and marveled how I could flip it through the turns.

I would say try to test ride both of them and get some miles in for a true feel. But I think either one will make you smile...a lot.

It seems like the older I get, the sportier I'm liking my bikes. I just sold my pristine 2010 Vulcan Nomad and have no intentions of ever owning another cruiser. It was fine for two-up riding, but it handled like a brick on wheels and at 850lbs dry, the 1700cc's didn't make it a rocket ship. My two-up ride is now the '78 GL1000 and we're both enjoying it. It takes up a LOT less room. Cool

CB1100F's - multiple flavors 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bone
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

What you are looking for appears to be similar to the requirements for police and or the camera bikes used in the Tour de France. FJR1300used as police bikes here. FJR and Concours used for TDF camera work as well I believe. Interesting that this year the Tour de France bikes will be Yamaha Niken, so that may be worth a look too. Great reviews, though interesting look!

petrat
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

FJR hands down .... has been refined over many years. Be sure to get a 2013 or later as the 2008 to 12 had some minor throttle modulation / FI mapping issues. I have a 2008 and rode a members 2013 and it was noticeably better on smaller throttle openings. It has torque everywhere, comfortable, great ergonomics, and can stay with the best in the corners ..... I will be selling my shortly (regrettably) once COVID calms down and the sellers market improves more.

http://www.darrenbeggcustoms.com

Vapor Blasting Services

Dealer for Wossner, Cometic, OHLINS, OZ Racing, Dymag, Marchesini, SUDCO, JB-Power, APE, Spiegler, Setrab, KOSO,
Brembo, Lightech, Speedcell, Racefit, Braketech, Ferodo Pads, Wood 
robbo
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Don’t count out the Z900RS. I have one and have a 32” inseam. It’s quite comfortable and the dry weight is an easy 40 kilos (88 pounds) lighter than my CB1100F. ABS, traction control, fuel injection and that’s pretty much as sophisticated as it gets. My wife is comfy on the back. I can’t fault the bike, even the stock exhaust sounds great. Probably the first bike I’ve ever bought where I didn’t feel the instantaneous need to mod something.

For me, the pros are:
-relative light weight
-more than adequate power
-relatively simple
-easy to handle
-looks like an ‘80’s Superbike

All subjective and IMHO. Take one for a ride before you take the plunge. But, tons of great bikes out there so have fun testing and finding the solution for you. It’ll be interesting to hear which way you go and why.

nathanhouse
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

BMW RT. Great low end torque, super comfy, great handling and good in the corners.
Go test ride one!!

CBX-tras
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I saw 164 on a GPS with my FJR. Totally recommend it.

Figured I had to buy it anyway since Yamaha was so nice to actually put my name on it, FJR = For J. R.

Approved Carburetor Rebuilder 
CBX1260cc
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

THANKYOU THANKYOU for all the comments advice.

Nobody thinks the Water cooled, fuel injection Bandit 1250 is worth a look??

DirtyT
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

CBX1260cc wrote:

Oh, it's a good machine, but the Kaw Concours I believe is much better, likely the Beemer too (no experience w/BMWs or FJR). Ed

kiwihonda004
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

I would consider a bandit , i don't think you can go wrong big engine water cooled simple and straight forward.
But have we looked at st1100 or 1300 ?.

Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

kiwihonda004 wrote:
I would consider a bandit , i don't think you can go wrong big engine water cooled simple and straight forward.
But have we looked at st1100 or 1300 ?.

My reading indicates these two models give off LOTS of radiant heat which can be uncomfortable in the summers here in Ga where 90+ deg F is typical.

f4fast
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

CBX1260cc wrote:
THANKYOU THANKYOU for all the comments advice.

A guy I used to work with had one and used to rave about it . He was a smart guy and was a mechanical engineer , and amateur pilot as well. He also rode dirt bikes and sold his Bandit because he believed the bikes performance made him take chances on the road that put him in bad situations ( no self control?).

He had small kids and thought that buying a cruiser was the prudent course forward. Never saw him ride that cruiser to work , and all he did was express regret for selling his Bandit, and express interest in others for sale.
He was a bright guy and I respected his opinions and evaluations of different products and mechanical devices.

I think that bike is a real well refined version of the UJM , and if that bike appeals to you, I’ve heard it’s a good bike.

JTDCB9F
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll chime in re: the FJR. I put about 35K miles on a 2006 FJR, while also owning a GL1500; paid $11K for the FJR and sold it for $4K in the course of ten years. I still have the wing, which I refer to as the wife's bike as it exists for road tripping two up. I got bored with the FJR and sold it to buy the '81 F bike, I guess so I could learn to work on carburetors, clutches and brakes. The FJR is a rocketship on the highway - you can go as fast as you want / dare to. Luggage space is way less than the wing and the factory top case is about an $800 piece of luggage, so score if you find a used one with a top case. It's top heavy with the battery mounted up high in the fairing and is hard to keep turned in; and the wife did not like the ergonomics for touring - feet too high and no floor boards. Did I mention how fast it is? You can literally pass cars at will. You buy the FJR for the engine. Stock seat is bad and the gel Yamaha accessory seat is worse. Saddleman seat was best. And forward accessory pegs are a must to relieve pressure on your legs when touring. All that aside, the FJR was / is a great sport tourer, but in my experience, if you want the wife to be happy at the hotel at the end of a 300 mile day, you cant beat the GL1500, or 1800. Great cornering clearance, the most luggage space (GL1500), good low center of gravity, smooth running boxer engine, reverse gear, and quite reliable. Plus if you like old school, it has hard wired communication and you can play your KC & the Sunshine Band cassettes.
Tupperware is getting hard to find though and the stuff breaks off tabs. My wing has about 45K miles and is just about broken in from what I hear:).

thx113
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

My recomendation can be summarised in the following thread.
http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=71020&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

VF1000RE x 2
VF1000RF
Black scooter (06 CBR1100XX)
Red scooter (94 VFR750FR)
CT110 Hyper Sport 
FLYPIG
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I echo the opinion that a Yamaha FJR1300, model year 2013 or later, is the way to go. Heated grips, cruise control are stock. Electrically adjustable windscreen, nimble handling yet steady. No trunk, but the bags are nice and the tail rack is accommodating for a waterproof duffle.

Over the past decade or so, the FJR is overtaking a certain German marque (all models inclusive) as the ride of choice for the Iron Butt Association. If John Ryan swore by them, they have to be good.

Just make sure you put down at least two days a month to ride the F to keep the carbs form getting all icky. The FJR will call to you each time you slip on the skid lid.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic