\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 73,255,676
  • Today: 2,076
Server InfoServer Info
  • Apr 18, 2024
  • 02:40 am PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
kinser86
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, long story short, I intended on buying this bike for parts only for my 750F, primarily the oil sump/pump/cooler and swingarm. After we loaded it into the truck, he also handed me the title to the bike.... Now there was no prior talks of a title or anything, just parts and I had assumed that thing was long lost. So now I am having an ethical dilemma in stripping stuff I need from the bike.

Now I know the bike is far from complete. It was missing quite a bit of stuff. There were plugs in the head but there were no carbs or exhaust. There was water in the sump and right engine cover. Oil filter case was oil only, and valve train is was bone dry. The oil level was not even on the stick. The rotating assembly rotates, but I can only rotate it about 180 degrees before it starts to resist (plugs are out obviously).

I am not too familiar with the 1100F and its features but the rear shocks are Koni and the front forks are TRAC. I thought the 1100F had reservoirs for the rear.

What should I do? Rebuilding this is beyond me... I just wanted some parts for the 750F.....

Hondo57
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

You could strip the motor (if that is possible honestly) and have it vapor blasted by Nils. Then see if it is worth anything. It looks pretty rough like it was put away wet for a couple decades outside.

CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

I would not worry about the ethics of parting that one out.
With no personal connection to the bike it looks too far gone to be economically viable for restoration.
The Konis might be worth some money and if they need rebuilding you could send them here.
https://www.restocycle.com/maintenance
Hard to tell but someone might want the fork setup if the sliders are rust free.

Hondo57
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You could buy one of PGSmicks cylinder head bolt removal tools to remove the cylinders. They look undamaged and could be worth 300.00 to a forum member if they arent corroded

Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You didn't say what you paid for it, but if it was really cheap, it could be a perfect bike for modifications and upgrades. The motor can probably be rebuilt. Having the title adds value for sure - you can sell the titled frame all by itself if you do decide to part it out.

CB1100F's - multiple flavors 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
PGSmick
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

With the exception of the piston rings and sleeves, the internals of that motor are probably fine. I think you would be looking at $500 or more to vapor blast those parts (cases, covers, head and cylinder) well enough to paint or powdercoat them. And then you would be looking at rebuild costs from there. I don't know about bringing the rest of the bike back though. As was said, if you can get the cylinder off intact and then just vapor blast that, that part alone would fetch a pretty penny.

Gadgets: Fixed By Smicks 
TCRacing
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For your consideration:

I would say go with your original plan. Take off the parts you need and part out and sell the other parts. The title in your hand will be beneficial when you sell the frame.

AMA # 454
Current TCR Projects:
1982 CB750F
http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=84450

1983 CB1100F X SOLD 
FLYPIG
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Don't know about things on Earth, but here on the planet Koosbain there are 4 or 5 frames and motors for every piece of plastic body work or seats. Tanks are even rarer. In other words, the stuff you need to make a complete bike are the hardest to get. I'm with parting it out. You could keep the frame and title in case you ever find a more complete bike with a missing title and cheap price nod nod wink wink.

kinser86
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well I don't disagree with any of you. I will take what I need and part out the rest. I'll start dismantling and taking inventory on everything here in a few weeks.

Thanks everyone for your input.

tomee11
MB-5
MB-5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Contact me once you decide what you want to keep - I may take what is left. I have a 1100F with a 900F engine and would like to put the correct engine in it. Can pick up. A little West of you in Phoenix.

Tomcars1@netscape.net

silversurfer1050
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

FLYPIG wrote:
Don't know about things on Earth, but here on the planet Koosbain there are 4 or 5 frames and motors for every piece of plastic body work or seats. Tanks are even rarer. In other words, the stuff you need to make a complete bike are the hardest to get. I'm with parting it out. You could keep the frame and title in case you ever find a more complete bike with a missing title and cheap price nod nod wink wink.

For your consideration, here in the twilight zone, 1100's were only made on year. parts from other years fit.

How bad could it be?

http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=46450&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hurricane&start=0

FLYPIG
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

silversurfer1050 wrote:

For your consideration, here in the twilight zone, 1100's were only made on year. parts from other years fit.

How bad could it be?

http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=46450&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hurricane&start=0

Can you send up a quarter fairing (red please, I have the slow version) on the next shuttle craft? Very Happy

CBX1260cc
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

I PERSONALLY think you should try to SAVE IT.

Members here will do their VERY BEST to help you find the parts needed to bring her back.

Final decision is of course yours but I'm with REBUILD.

Hondo57
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Start with an engine rebuild at 5000.00. Then tackle the rest. It is not worth it. Buy Sillygoose 1100 for 6500 makes more sense

Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I did a full restore on one about 10 years ago as a project with my then teenage Son... took about 10 years and $3000....lots of hours of hours in the garage ( with my boy ). It was well worth it. The pride of the finished project is without measure.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/gtuhUL1TjrRHmdu8A[/img][img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/xLVQ3i6j6ZvJ5Hgq9[/img]

82 GS1000 Katana
80 Suzuki GS1000s Wes Cooley
83 Kawasaki KZ1000 ELR
82 Kawasaki GPZ1100B2
02 Honda CBR1100XX
86 VFR750
86 Yamaha FZ750
95 CBR900RR Urban Tiger 
Hondo57
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Okay but there is no way that the rolling chassis pictured will be a 3000 dollar finished job that looks like Sillygooses for 6500.00. Just sayin...

Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There really is no right or wrong answer here and the decision is ultimately up the present owner. Personally, I agree with Ricardo. These bikes are getting scarcer as each day passes. A titled/rolling 1100F frame and complete motor is worth close to $1000 all day long. In this case, it's a blank canvas that someone can work with - either restore back to stock or do some serious modding.

Yes, Rick's Canadian 1100F is a great deal and perfect for someone who wants a turnkey bike. But we all know plenty of guys here who have spent up to $10K (or more) to restore them, knowing full well that they may never get that money back. There's something to be said for doing the bulk of the work yourself and the satisfaction that comes with riding it after it's done. Not to mention the compliments that they get and the pride that comes with saying, "I restored that myself."

CB1100F's - multiple flavors 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
cliffiec
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

tomk1960 wrote:
There really is no right or wrong answer here and the decision is ultimately up the present owner. Personally, I agree with Ricardo. These bikes are getting scarcer as each day passes. A titled/rolling 1100F frame and complete motor is worth close to $1000 all day long. In this case, it's a blank canvas that someone can work with - either restore back to stock or do some serious modding.

Yes, Rick's Canadian 1100F is a great deal and perfect for someone who wants a turnkey bike. But we all know plenty of guys here who have spent up to $10K (or more) to restore them, knowing full well that they may never get that money back. There's something to be said for doing the bulk of the work yourself and the satisfaction that comes with riding it after it's done. Not to mention the compliments that they get and the pride that comes with saying, "I restored that myself."

+1 for Toms input! If the owner goes in "eyes wide open", knowing that the restore will cost more than the bike is worth, then credit to him (or her) for a bike well saved! Honor the commitment and skill necessary to execute the work. Heres a before and after pic of my restore:

Took over a year, and cost over 6K...

Silence is the best reply to a Fool!

Ever notice that people who think they know everything never shut up? 
Hondo57
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Okay

Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

I definitely agree it isn't a total loss but right now I don't have the finances to rebuild. For the time being I have stripped it down to the frame/motor and have it on a rolling cart. I'll slide it aside for a while and see what happens.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic