\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 72,897,915
  • Today: 14,708
Server InfoServer Info
  • Mar 28, 2024
  • 11:38 pm PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
Quickster2
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Does any one know the clear instrument cluster material? Lexan, plexiglass, etc? Has anyone had any luck with polishing them? I have to try to remove the scratches on the one bulldauq ripped me off on.

If someone wants to buy this NOS cluster at a substantial discount from what I paid and remove the scratches themselves please PM me. Thx

Hondo57
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have polished plastic on a buffing wheel with great success. I am not sure I would try that instrument cover though unless it was in worse shape. Are there any polishing places near you or maybe you could ask a jewelry place like Medawar if they can polish it without messing it up?
Another idea is to call Dennis McCarthy in the restoration dept at Barber Museum in Birmingham AL. Or get his email and ask him. He may be able to get you in the right direction

Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yp-kumgpoM

We don\'t see things as they are
we see things as we are

Viton Valve Stem Seals
12.9 Cam Holder Bolts

kiwihonda004
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

try a boat builder thats what i did .

Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thx for the replies.

Hondo57
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

I watched the video and would try the polish they used as a starting point. The buffing wheel works but you will need to practice on a piece of plastic for awhile beforehand because you can melt it from heat. Keep it moving on the wheel and do not press down. I would only do that if you can remove the plastic cover from the instruments. Whatever the wheel touches will be buffed instantly

Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

genesound wrote:
This might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yp-kumgpoM

That is one great little video on polishing plastics. Thanks for posting.

Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I use a plastic polish cleaner Summers Laboratories 201 purchased at a Boat Marina works good on minor scratches and great cleaning with a microfiber towel

FLYPIG
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

This will probably generate some catcalls and cries of BS, but it is a cheap and easy way to clear up scratched and fogged clear plastic: Lemon Pledge. Yep, the furniture polish. Works on windscreens, tail lights, and plastic headlight covers. It is amazing how well it works. Recommend using a microfiber towel to wipe it up and polish until dry, or, an old terry-cloth towel will work.

The bad side: it is not permanent. As soon as you wash your bike or it gets went, the scratches return. Also, the scent attracts yellow jackets and other stinging insects (only when you are stopped).

Pledge is also a good cleaner/wax for painted surfaces. It can be used for removing bug splat and tar by spraying on a good drippy amount and letting it set for a few minutes before wiping it up. Works great on icky-sticky chain lube as well. Pledge can be bought in fire-extinguisher-sized cans at COSTCO for use around home, or in little cans for sticking in your tank bag.

Bikers have been using Pledge for years but used car dealers have really adopted it recently for the headlight trick. Most cars, SUVs and trucks made in the past 10 years have headlights with a plastic cover over LED or halogen bulbs. Instead of paying Skippy The Lot Boy to polish out the covers with a buffing wheel and pricey polish (or worse, pay Mike The Mechanic to replace the headlight assemblies), a quick wipe with Pledge gets the sale made and the new owner isn't wise to the scheme until they wash the car for the first time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic