\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 73,276,840
  • Today: 3,556
Server InfoServer Info
  • Apr 19, 2024
  • 05:17 am PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
beneberle
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well guys....I did the ONE THING that I've sworn I'd never, ever, ever, everevereverevereverever do....and that's lose a title to a bike I haven't registered yet. Bought it on the Cape last spring, wasn't in riding mode, so just toyed with it all summer, sealed it up for the winter, and then got it gussied up this spring and ready to go. Carbs off...cleaned, tuned, new front tire, brake work, etc. It's 100% ready and it's KILLING ME that we're having the greatest stretch of riding weather here and it's just parked in the stable.

Are there any VT members around who could help? That's essentially the only loophole I know of. On good thing I'm finding is that the title is open, and the VIN isn't registered at all in the MA RMV system. I did a search and it came back empty. I went down to the RMV to see if they could answer my questions, and they said that MA purges old, unregistered/inactive titles and VINs after 7 years....which is what I have.

That's also BAD because we can track down the old owner and have an old title sent there.

Am I sitting on a pile of junk? Anyone have other ideas? I remember finding a "title company" somewhere out in Nevada or something like that, a few years ago....but that kind of sketches me out too much. I'd much prefer to "sell" it to a member in VT and then "buy" it back.

Thoughts? I think I'm going to have to dump it if I can't get it registered. It's in pretty good shape, runs really well, red, and really only needs some cosmetic work on the engine and other metal parts. It's all original, minus the seat cover, with just over 12k on it. Help?

houredout401
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pretty sure you can register it in VT via mail, at least you could a few years ago. Its common among the off-road motorcycle crew to work that angle.

Surprised MA does not have some "lost title" affidavitt thing. Another possible angle is RI - for vehicles that old, no title needed, just a bill of sale. But RI will not re-issue a title.

mwe
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Can you get an old registration?

beneberle
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Right - there's nothing for the bike. No old reg, title #, or VIN on file with the RMV.

I'd be pretty surprised if I could get a VT registration via mail if you're not a VT resident, but I'll look into it.

STILL can't believe I lost it. My wife and I have been in the midst of a giant home reno project and it got lost in the big move from the old wing up to the new loft. There's a chance she's the one who chucked, it, but frankly...it could easily have been me. I'm just killing myself for not locking it up in our title folder right away. Unreal.

jt
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in the same boat, have a CBX frame would like to gat a tittle for but bike was never registered, ( Think School Bike). So your post had me searching found lots of post on the VT title but some grief to so I kept searching and found this looks promising.

https://www.motorecyclenow.com/title-service.html

If you use service, give us a review of the service. Would be good to know.

JT in Texas

vince83
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Some states just require a bill of sale to register.

mwe
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

I believe that a mechanics lein can also offer a route to a new title as well

Lindy
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

I got a Vermont registration for a bike I had no title for (im a Virginia resident) but....I didnt find out until after the fact, they do not issue titles. Virginia will not issue a title, unless you have a title so a Vermont registration for me, was worthless, so you need to check with your state.

tomk1960
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Here's a link describing the process of getting a VT registration by mail: http://www.chinonthetank.com/2014/04/get-a-title-with-a-vermont-registration/

One catch is in regards to bikes 300cc's or bigger. You'll need the VIN certified by a cop, DMV, or auto inspection station to prove your VIN matches up. I know the owner of my local bike inspection station, so I'll be talking to her about this.

Massachusetts doesn't require that you have a title from the previous owner, but you must have their old registration and a bill of sale with the same name and address. You bring that to the RMV with the appropriate paperwork and a check, then they order a new MA title and provide a registration.

CB1100F's - multiple flavors

Last edited by tomk1960 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
beneberle
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

JT - and others.

Yeah, this is a honest migraine...but that VT title service does look promising. Only thing I'm seeing is that I'll have to get the bike's VIN certified by a VT official. I'm pretty sure that's what they're asking...but otherwise, this seems pretty straightforward.

I live about 30min from the border, and about 45 from the Brattleboro area which will definitely have someone who can certify the VIN for me.

Well...the beat goes on, guys. I'll see what I can do.

houredout401
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

beneberle wrote:
JT - and others.

Yeah, this is a honest migraine...but that VT title service does look promising. Only thing I'm seeing is that I'll have to get the bike's VIN certified by a VT official. I'm pretty sure that's what they're asking...but otherwise, this seems pretty straightforward.

I live about 30min from the border, and about 45 from the Brattleboro area which will definitely have someone who can certify the VIN for me.

30 mins form border, then you are golden. I would bet a fair sum that the local police will glady give you a VIN check and be quite interested in the bike!

sillygoose
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

More on the subject but requires you be a member to view:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/how-to-get-proof-of-ownership-for-a-bike-w-no-title.655441/

Your VIN does not have to be certified by a VT inspector I think your local police or DMV could do the job With the proper paperwork.

Lindy
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

beneberle wrote:
JT - and others.

getting the VIN verified was no issue, any notary public could do it (I had a Virginia notary public do mine) getting a Vermont registration was no problem, fill out some forms, bill of sale pay your money and a Tag and registration showed up in the mail, again it wasnt until after the fact I found out, they dont issue a title, and even called to verify with them because I was led to believe you did. Again double check with your state, each is different. I ended up doing a bill of sale to my brother in Florida, sending the frame to him, so he could have the State of Florida verify the VIN, then they issued him a title in his name.

adk_finn
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Vermonter here -

I've registered a few bikes that were bought out of state, without title, no paperwork from PO, etc.

My experience (when they haven't been registered by me previously / anywhere else, not sure how that would change things) -

You need: A completed Bill of Sale (requires signature from PO) and Odometer Disclosure Statement (has a spot for PO to sign also iirc (even though they say 9yrs or newer)). A completed VIN verification - I had a local officer come to my garage and complete the check/sign off. He stayed and talked bikes for a half hour after, turns out he rides Harleys.

It is all pretty easy.

beneberle - You should be able to trailer the bike right to the local VT PD in Bratt and have them check it and sign the VIN verification forms. It only takes a couple of minutes.

One small point of clarification - Vermont does not require nor issue titles for vehicles greater than 15yrs old. Anything 15 and newer (2005 and up at present) you will need a signed title and you'll also receive a new title from the State in the mail.

edit - I'd also be more than willing to help, offer you a place in the barn to park it while you get the VIN checked, etc. It'd be a bit of a drive I am in Berlin, VT just outside of Montpelier. Just shoot me a PM if you'd like to chat.

1988 VT600 
Lindy
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

adk_finn wrote:

One small point of clarification - Vermont does not require nor issue titles for vehicles greater than 15yrs old. Anything 15 and newer (2005 and up at present) you will need a signed title and you'll also receive a new title from the State in the mail.

Thats actually a huge point, if you live in a state like I do, that without a title, the registration means absolutely nothing

beneberle
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, ADK - that's all really good to know. MA is fine with just an old registration and a bill of sale for vehicles 30yrs or older. All set there.

I live in a really small town...and our local cop generally has coffee every morning at the general store, literally, right across the street from my driveway. So, I'll ask him if he can do the VIN check for me. If that's the case, then I'll give the mail registration a go.

I'll report back!

PGSmick
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Whatever you do, don't be tempted to slap a plate on the bike from another one and then drive it anywhere. I did that in CT with a van and a sharp-eyed cop pulled me over. The tickets for misuse of marker plates, and driving an unregistered vehicle carried an automatic one month suspension of my driver's license with no hearing. I had to hire a chauffeur for the month to get me to work and back. I ended up marrying her. Although we produced a couple of great kids before we divorced, it was a WHOLE LOT MORE than I thought I was getting into when I cavalierly screwed that Corvair plate onto the Dodge van for the run down to the CT DMV.

Good luck getting registered.

Gadgets: Fixed By Smicks 
SEsmick
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

PGSmick wrote:
Whatever you do, don't be tempted to slap a plate on the bike from another one and then drive it anywhere. I did that in CT with a van and a sharp-eyed cop pulled me over. The tickets for misuse of marker plates, and driving an unregistered vehicle carried an automatic one month suspension of my driver's license with no hearing. I had to hire a chauffeur for the month to get me to work and back. I ended up marrying her. Although we produced a couple of great kids before we divorced, it was a WHOLE LOT MORE than I thought I was getting into when I cavalierly screwed that Corvair plate onto the Dodge van for the run down to the CT DMV.

Good luck getting registered.

Hey! Evil or Very Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic