\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 72,902,639
  • Today: 4,502
Server InfoServer Info
  • Mar 29, 2024
  • 07:17 am PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
f4fast
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My Black 750 was out of commission for a month or so after a fall off the kickstand that took out two directionals and a clutch lever...

After one directional wasn't sent in my Honda order ,I was vacationing and didn't get to reorder and reassemble and just rode other bikes..

Well I got it together on a Saturday and it cranked slowly even though I thought it was fully charged as it was on the Battery tender as usual..I figured the plug came loose as I stepped past the wire in the garage and made sure it was charging (tender showed green) and planned to use the bike the next morning for a group ride.

That morning after the wife and me got our stuff together and I pushed the bikes outside the garage and resumed getting ready to go....

Time to leave and I push the button and it cranks slow as shit but starts and I see the headlight get brighter as it revs so I reluctantly take the bike anyway as I was looking forward to riding it.

We leave and head out east to the eastern tip of the Island in Orient point. We stopped several times and the battery cranked slow as shit but started the bike 4 more times.

Today I switched the battery out and looked at my maintenance records and found my last entry for battery replacement was 7/2007......(I now write the change date in sharpie on every battery and light-bulb I own in everything AA, D , 9v, everything )

I thought I fucked up and forgot to make an entry to reflect a more recent change ...Till I looked at the Battery itself and the decal punchouts said FEB and 7...

Holy shit, this battery lasted 11 years and 11K miles!

I can't believe it! Could I have made a mistake?

smoked21
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Damn,That means I only got 2 more years.Big Cranks are Bad Ass

Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

For me, Big Cranks last 8 years. They are well worth the money! I also write the replacement date with a Sharpie on the battery. Its an excellent tip.

1977 GL1000 - Ox 
PGSmick
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My current Big Crank is the only one in recent memory that has lasted even two years. I have had many, many others go flat sooner than that. Autozone used to give me $10 back on every battery I brought them. They also make really good shop bookends.

Gadgets: Fixed By Smicks 
BlueThunder
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

PGSmick wrote:
My current Big Crank is the only one in recent memory that has lasted even two years. I have had many, many others go flat sooner than that. Autozone used to give me $10 back on every battery I brought them. They also make really good shop bookends.

Peter, there is something that is being done wrong. Even standard lead acid batteries last 3 years (for me). Do you bring them in during the winter? Do you leave them in a discharged state for an extended period of time?

I was looking for bookends for my shop manuals. I will use your suggestion on using dead batteries. But I will need to wait for at least another 5 years... Very Happy

1977 GL1000 - Ox 
swede0030
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

I’m very disappointed with BIG CRANK! My bikes are always on a Battery Tender Plus, correct charger for AGM batteries.
BMW K1200GT - 22 months - failed
CB1100f F - 29 months - failed
CB900F - 16 months - failing

Amazon:
Yuasa YUAM62H4L YTX14AHL-BS Battery has given me great service!

basmn
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have never put my batteries on tenders. I found them to slowly boil them and shorten there life. I remove them for winter storage , charge them and put them in the basement...in the spring i charge them and re install....never had an issue and i get long life from them.
BTW...i use a smart charger.

03 YZF R6 track only
XR100 pit special
CRF 230F
2014 Kodiak 450 for the wife (:
2018 Polaris 570..for me.. 
PGSmick
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

BlueThunder wrote:

Peter, there is something that is being done wrong. Even standard lead acid batteries last 3 years (for me). Do you bring them in during the winter? Do you leave them in a discharged state for an extended period of time?

I was looking for bookends for my shop manuals. I will use your suggestion on using dead batteries. But I will need to wait for at least another 5 years... Very Happy

I ride most of the winter so I never really take the battery out of service. It stays connected to the bike inside the garage which never gets much below 40. I have tried keeping the battery on a tender anytime it is not used, and I have also tried putting it on a tender only when it seems to be needed. Neither approach made a lot of difference. AFAIK the battery is not standing for any length of time in a low state of charge. I think my pattern of use is probably hard on the battery: I have a 10-15 minute commute in traffic with at least one start at each end. And often there is no longer ride in between commutes. In the colder months, the starts tend to be long and difficult.

In any case, my symptoms are that after some months--up to a couple of years, say--the battery just fails to hold charge.

I have simply resigned myself to renewing my bookends every couple of years!

Gadgets: Fixed By Smicks 
DonR
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Five and a half years of cranking 1123cc's out of mine so far. Plenty to go it seems.

genesound
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

PGSmick wrote:
BlueThunder wrote:

I ride most of the winter so I never really take the battery out of service. It stays connected to the bike inside the garage which never gets much below 40. I have tried keeping the battery on a tender anytime it is not used, and I have also tried putting it on a tender only when it seems to be needed. Neither approach made a lot of difference. AFAIK the battery is not standing for any length of time in a low state of charge. I think my pattern of use is probably hard on the battery: I have a 10-15 minute commute in traffic with at least one start at each end. And often there is no longer ride in between commutes. In the colder months, the starts tend to be long and difficult.

In any case, my symptoms are that after some months--up to a couple of years, say--the battery just fails to hold charge.

I have simply resigned myself to renewing my bookends every couple of years!

Peter, I think you're on to something. I've always thought that charging systems on these bikes aren't particularly good for battery longevity. Everyone wants a smart charger, trickle charger or a 2 amp charger to baby their battery, but the charging system on the bike is anything but a trickle charger when it's working properly.

We don\'t see things as they are
we see things as we are

Viton Valve Stem Seals
12.9 Cam Holder Bolts

BlueThunder
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Peter and Jim,
Even though its only two instances, but it has the making of a pattern. Keeping the AGM batteries on a tender charger may be the thing that is killing the battery. I never put mine on a tender. I charge with an AGM charger (2A smart charger over night) at the start of the season and when I put it away in a heated basement for the winter. That's it! I have never had the Big Crank on my F bikes, or the GoldWing fail to start during the season.

1977 GL1000 - Ox 
basmn
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I believe that slow charging AGM batteries is the proper and only way. These things do not appreciate fast charging.

03 YZF R6 track only
XR100 pit special
CRF 230F
f4fast
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

BlueThunder wrote:
Peter and Jim,
Even though its only two instances, but it has the making of a pattern. Keeping the AGM batteries on a tender charger may be the thing that is killing the battery. I never put mine on a tender. I charge with an AGM charger (2A smart charger over night) at the start of the season and when I put it away in a heated basement for the winter. That's it! I have never had the Big Crank on my F bikes, or the GoldWing fail to start during the season.

Battery tender plus is an updated unit that charges AGM batteries properly....

I've had good luck with them and own about 5 of them....

Battery Tender FAQ wrote:

8. How is the Battery Tender® Plus battery charger different from the Battery Tender battery charger?

OVERVIEW and COMPARISON: The Battery Tender and Battery Tender Plus battery chargers are both designed to provide a quick, economical means to recharge motorcycle and engine start batteries used in other power sports equipment. Typically, power sports engine start batteries are in the 12 Ah to 20 Ah capacity ranges. Both chargers are constant voltage type with precisely regulated output current limits. Both chargers have a regulated, nearly constant 1.25-ampere output charge current during the bulk charge phase. Physically, there is virtually no difference between these 2 chargers. Both the Battery Tender and the Battery Tender Plus operate in 3 charge modes, bulk charge, absorption charge, and float charge.

Both the Battery Tender® and the Battery Tender® Plus are 4-step chargers meaning that they operate in 4 charge distinct modes: initialization, bulk charge, absorption charge, and float / maintenance charge. The legacy marketing literature and the operating instructions do not identify the original Battery Tender® as having an initialization mode. Therefore there is a lot of old literature that refers to Battery Tender® chargers as 3-step chargers. However the basic initialization functionality was present but there was no LED status indication; the Battery Tender® simply would not allow output voltage to activate unless a battery was properly connected to the charger. The Battery Tender® Plus does have an LED indication to indicate a faulty battery connection, which, with a little extra software and battery checks, completes the mechanization of ‘initialization’, the 4th charging step, even though time sequentially it is actually the 1st step.

RECHARGING AGM BATTERIES: The Battery Tender® has an absorption charge mode, but the the Battery Tender® Plus has a different absorption mode maximum charge voltage and a timer to hold the absorption voltage longer. These specific changes were made to accommodate the charging requirements of Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) style lead acid batteries.

http://www.batterytender.com/faq/products

djhurayt
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in the don't leave the tender on 24/7/365.

I found that I have had early battery failures when doing so.

I will put mine on the tender over night every couple of weeks if the bike has not been ridden.

basmn
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

djhurayt wrote:
I'm in the don't leave the tender on 24/7/365.

I found that I have had early battery failures when doing so.

I will put mine on the tender over night every couple of weeks if the bike has not been ridden.

+1

03 YZF R6 track only
XR100 pit special
CRF 230F
djf18374
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, I've found that if you leave them on the tender for prolonged periods it allows the voltage in the battery to drop and may not recover or restart charging when low. My CBX battery was annihilated in this manner last winter and actually got low enough to freeze. Even though the Tender showed "green" float charging.

I've experimented many times and if the Tender is on float for more than a few days, you can unplug the charger and plug it back in after 10 seconds. It will start charging again for a couple hours and then go to float.

f4fast
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have a bunch of them plugged into the same socket in the garage and planned on using one of those old fashioned electrical timers that turns the power off/on at set times so that they aren't on 24/7.

For a maintenance charge, couple hours a day is probably best ....

I have heard that certain type batteries (cell phones..etc) develop a "memory " regarding charge levels and work best when not left on constant "charge"

basmn
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Personally i think your wasting your time charging them daily....best way to cook a battery. Once i hooked up a 2 ma charger to a lead acid .....2 weeks later it was dry...yes 2ma

03 YZF R6 track only
XR100 pit special
CRF 230F
SteveG
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I use a Battery Tender Junior. Don't need it in the summer, and in the winter (when the batteries are out of the bikes and in the basement) I simply charge them once a month or so. They usually go to green within minutes.

Steve

Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wow...this could turn into an oil thread Laughing

03 YZF R6 track only
XR100 pit special
CRF 230F
genesound
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

basmn wrote:
Wow...this could turn into an oil thread Laughing

Kittens everywhere are getting nervous...

We don\'t see things as they are
we see things as we are

Viton Valve Stem Seals
12.9 Cam Holder Bolts

djhurayt
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

THAT is funny

Bucko
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

I never use a trickle charger and a couple of my bikes with AGM batteries routinely sit for 9 months of the year without being touched. The AGM battery in my Vulcan is 10 years old - I didn't get it out this year but it started up just fine last year. I've had one AGM battery show up that never lasted it's first season but all the others have lasted many years. I've read that AGM batteries loose 1% of their charge in a month - based on that discharge rate I'm not sure why anyone would ever need to use a trickle charger. In my case, the batteries are lasting a long time because I either don't drive enough or because of not using a trickle charger.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic