\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 72,884,564
  • Today: 1,357
Server InfoServer Info
  • Mar 28, 2024
  • 01:49 am PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
JJam
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I need to buy two sets of wheels for my ‘19 Phillip Island effort. I want Dymag but of course I can not afford them.
I don’t care what brand the wheels come off of as long as they are readily available and I can not go wider than a 5” rear. Where do I find this info?
If at all possible I’d like to go with Suzuki wheels because I have a load of new race sprockets for them.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Peace, Jim

nlovie
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

do you need to stick with 18" ? if so the original gsxr slabside wheels are good ( most popular wheel seen used at the Spa classic) - they are near as light as classic dymags - rear from the 1000 is 4.5" - fronts have a rep of being a bit flexible - this is fixed by increase the wheel spindle diameter ( I think the original was 15mm then suzuki upped to 17mm- if you can go bigger with a hollow spindle then your win win weight and flex resistant
discs / cush drives are also well light and front discs are 2 part but not floating - if that,s a regulation
rear matching calliper is underslung with torque arm to frame = easy bodge up to frame - they also come in 220mm and 240mm yr dependant - i.e. you get brake hangers for both diameters - neat thing is they don't look a lot different from the cb1100F cast wheels

if you can go modern - the triumph 675 daytona wheels are liked for your reasons but TBH any modern sportbike wheels are good - getting one down to 5" maybe a challenge

JJam
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

17" is the wheel size I need. Sorry I forgot that part.

Shawn_Mc
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

I know you wanted Suzuki wheels, but the F4i wheels are extremely light.

Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

With the constraints of needing an inexpensive 17X5.0 wheel. You might have some luck looking into the 1996 - 2007 Yamaha YZF600R three spoke wheels.

AMA # 454
Current TCR Projects:
1982 CB750F
http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=84450

1983 CB1100F X SOLD

Last edited by TCRacing on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total 
mwe
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Zx10r

JJam
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Shawn_Mc wrote:
I know you wanted Suzuki wheels, but the F4i wheels are extremely light.

F4i is 5.5 or 6"? so that is a no go for the Phillip Island rules. I may use the front as this is not a show bike and I really don't care if the wheels are matching. Performance is the KEY to this bike and since I'm spending the most on the engine. OEM wheels will be what I use.

JJam
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Todd and mwe. I'll look into the Yamaha but I would think that the ZX10 would have at least a 5.5" wheel and I can't run that. I'll check though?

Thanks guys for the info keep it coming.

OR, if anybody wants to help sponsor this effort and help sport some Dymags or whatever???? I'm always up for putting more sponsor decals on the bike. Ya right I know but can't be told NO if you don't ask.
So far I have Vince & Hyde racing as my main sponsor, Randakk's Cycle shack and KBR suspension.

Peace, Jim

DonR
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There's not a lot to choose from for rears. Suzuki GSX650F and early versions of the Kawasaki ZX-6R are 5.0"

Hondo57
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jim, are you saying you will be using OEM 750F Comstars?
Do wider tires actually hold corners better? I always wondered about that.

CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hondo57 wrote:

Technically yes, but that doesn't mean you need a 6" rim on the front. The disparity in width between the front and rear tyres of large powerful bikes is directly related to the horsepower the rear tyre has to transmit not cornering traction. Look at a Moto3 bike with its low power/high cornering speed. The disparity in tyre width front to rear is no where near as large as the MotoGP or WSBK machines. Sure the Moto3 bike is lighter but they do corner faster than the big bikes.

nlovie
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

speaking to John Neate- his lads prefer a 150 profile versus 160 on their classic race Honda's - maybe its more of an aspect of 18" rims with a higher side wall profile - dunno - me ? I get a noticeable improvement in agility / balance going from 170 to 160 on my Harris ( 17" rear 16" front with a 130)

personally I suspect - for the majority of riders - big fat rear tyres is marketing bling

edit - think what i'm trying to say is - for the majority of cases fitting big rear tyres is a cosmetic thing - fitting them for a purpose needs a lot of thought / feed back / chassis modification / weight distribution etc.. to release any potential benefit - however, saying this, a 150/160 rear is a nice ball park as an alternative to an old school 130
best I've read on this subject was a comment from a racer " the only things a modern tyre has in common with an old one is they are round and black" - probably more important than the size

JJam
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hondo57 wrote:

No, when I said OEM I meant any stock wheels that are 17” and a 5” rear. I have F3 wheels and might just use them but they aren’t the lightest wheels out there.

Thanks Don. The SV650 just might be the ticket. I believe that they use the same sprockets that I already have loads of. Now off to eBay.

djhurayt
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

temporary hijack even though it is direct at the OP

Jim, speaking of sponsors . . .
http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=86043

Bone
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

djhurayt wrote:

Also, thinking about sponsorship, I am guessing that very few of us could afford to sponsor JJam (or others) to the tune of a new set of Dymags, but a larger number might be willing to throw in a few bucks. Individually it might not be much, but combined it may add up to being something helpful. Is there a CB1100F.net logo/sticker that could be used to indicate joint sponsorship from members from the site (even if it is not the site itself sponsoring)? Would that havethe approval of Glenn?

Not sure what the easiest way to organise might be, a combined fund or just throw some dollars in JJam’s Paypal individually. All I would ask for in return would be that JJam has a thread on here with photos of his build and travels to PI, and that I get to shake his hand at the track when he gets here!

And while I was thinking of sponsorship, it reminded me to make my donation to this site!

Cheers,

Chris

zwicker
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bone wrote:
djhurayt wrote:

Also, thinking about sponsorship, I am guessing that very few of us could afford to sponsor JJam (or others) to the tune of a new set of Dymags, but a larger number might be willing to throw in a few bucks. Individually it might not be much, but combined it may add up to being something helpful. Is there a CB1100F.net logo/sticker that could be used to indicate joint sponsorship from members from the site (even if it is not the site itself sponsoring)? Would that havethe approval of Glenn?

Not sure what the easiest way to organise might be, a combined fund or just throw some dollars in JJam’s Paypal individually. All I would ask for in return would be that JJam has a thread on here with photos of his build and travels to PI, and that I get to shake his hand at the track when he gets
And while I was thinking of sponsorship, it reminded me to make my donation to this site!

Cheers,

Chris

I would donate $ to jim’s Moto fund.

Matt

TCRacing
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jim would you happen to have a “Sponsor Packet”? I sure this would be beneficial for those who would be investing more then a few bucks.

AMA # 454
Current TCR Projects:
1982 CB750F

1983 CB1100F X SOLD 
JJam
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, never thought about really asking the people on here Chris. I have asked some businesses in the motorcycle industry and got a few sponsors to help. I was originally shooting for this year but after the brain surgery in June. The bike got put on hold.
I for sure would be willing to do a build thread on the bike. Since I have slow internet I could maybe get another forum buddy to load the pictures for me. I’ll ask him. I have a hard time though because it feels like a “go fund me” thing and those bother me unless the people are in need. The bike is a luxury.

I’ll get a thread started and we can see where it goes from there.

On another note, Petrat messaged me today on a wheel that will work bad I bought one. Going to try the GSX650 5” wheel. I already have many new sprockets that should fit and I have a front wheel already in that same 3 spoke. It has to be lighter then F3 wheels. We will see.

Todd what do you mean by sponsor packet? You mean like Tee shirts, decals or products from
JES BUILT? I’m not much of a promotions guy as you know.

Peace, Jim

1100russ
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jim, you never did say if they found anything when they did your brain surgery.......

XR100 Teaching Bike
Ducati 750 SS Track Bike
CB360 Little Honda 
Shawn_Mc
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JJam wrote:
Hondo57 wrote:

No, when I said OEM I meant any stock wheels that are 17” and a 5” rear. I have F3 wheels and might just use them but they aren’t the lightest wheels out there.

Thanks Don. The SV650 just might be the ticket. I believe that they use the same sprockets that I already have loads of. Now off to eBay.

I want to say it was a 5.5, the stock tire size was a 180/55/17. Thats what I run, Ive got that F4i wheel on the back of my bike. I got it off Ebay for $40 shipped Laughing The front doesn't have a speedo drive. The front was a 3.5" why I remember that, Ive got no idea.

The f4i rear wheel is 5.5 inches wide. I went back through my notes.

Last edited by Shawn_Mc on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total 
TCRacing
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JJam wrote:

Todd what do you mean by sponsor packet? You mean like Tee shirts, decals or products from

Peace, Jim

Here are a few basic details as to what a "Sponsorship Packet" is. This is publication that has been created to introduce and promote yourself. You provided this every time you meet with a prospective sponsor. Here is an example of some of the information it would contain;

Who you are.
What your goal is
What the money is going to
Why they should sponsor you
Benefits of Sponsorship
Levels of Sponsorship

Without some of these key details available to the potential sponsor. You'll risk the chance of not being taken seriously, which means not getting the type of financial support that is need to be successful at this type of an event.

This should give you some idea that's more then "Tee shirts, decals or products from JES BUILT"

AMA # 454
Current TCR Projects:
1982 CB750F

1983 CB1100F X SOLD 
JJam
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

TCRacing wrote:
JJam wrote:

Peace, Jim

Here are a few basic details as to what a "Sponsorship Packet" is. This is publication that has been created to introduce and promote yourself. You provided this every time you meet with a prospective sponsor. Here is an example of some of the information it would contain;

Who you are.
What your goal is
What the money is going to
Why they should sponsor you
Benefits of Sponsorship
Levels of Sponsorship

Without some of these key details available to the potential sponsor. You'll risk the chance of not being taken seriously, which means not getting the type of financial support that is need to be successful at this type of an event.

This should give you some idea that's more then "Tee shirts, decals or products from JES BUILT"

Thanks Todd

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic