\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 72,897,053
  • Today: 13,846
Server InfoServer Info
  • Mar 28, 2024
  • 10:29 pm PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
robbo
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I thought about this the other day. A lot of us have "been around" and seen a lot. We've all seen the usual stuff about following distance, shoulder checks, etc, that you get on the safety courses. All good stuff.

But, some of us have survived or seen weird stuff, out of left field stuff, that we didn't see coming, but now, wiser from the experience we look out for this stuff.

Here's mine. A couple of years ago, riding with a mate. He's ahead. We're turning across traffic, and a double line, into a carpark. That's perfectly legal here in New South Wales. He's going a bit slow because it's congested in the carpark and my mate is picking his time to turn across. So, he's looking ahead for traffic coming the other way, but he doesn't shoulder check, because nobody SHOULD be coming from behind him. Well, some impatient young squid P-plater decides he can't wait and overtakes us, just narrowly missing my mate turning. Total luck that it didn't end up in parts strewn across the road.

So, now, I always check over my shoulder for idiots passing me, even thought I'm indicating and turning across a double line where nobody should be passing me anyway.

Also, I always gear up away from my bike on the sidewalk and looking up the street for traffic coming my way. Years ago I saw a car inexplicably veer into cars parked on the side of the road so I'm paranoid about that now.

What survivor safety tips do you guys have to share?

tomk1960
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

After being rear ended while sitting fully stopped at a red light, I keep an eye on the mirrors to see what's coming up behind me. I leave enough space in front of me so that I can pull out of the way if some idiot cager is looking down at their phone texting and about to run me over.

CB1100F's - multiple flavors 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Wulph
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I do the same thing Tom, but when a car is approaching behind me I also flash the brake light a couple of times with the front brake lever.

swiftnick
Black CB900F
Black CB900F

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The shoulder check is called the `lifesaver' in the UK. Or was back I used to run a motor cycle training class. Always look over your shoulder left or right side before making a turn. Its saved me on a few F rides I might add when the guys behind weren't paying enough attention.

When stopped at lights, right foot holds the brake on giving a brake light. Left foot alone should be on the ground so you are poised to move quickly if you need to.

Another thing we used to teach is don't grab the clutch and brake together when you emergency stop. It makes locking up the rear wheel far less likely. You can clutch just before to come to a stop.

2012 ST1300
1982 CX500 Turbo
1991 FJ1200
1976 CB750 Super Sport
1986 VFR750F
1985 VF1000R 
nlovie
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

enforce a warm up when you head out - not the engine or the tyres - for sure these need a warm up, but most importantly its yir brain - take your time to get the focus / awareness / speed observation ticking - you know when your switched on

toonces
Rest in Peace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A couple from the "out of left field" department:

Bad Luck

- about 20 years ago a friend of mine was riding alone on the highway at night. He was following a car & trailer that was covered with a blue tarp. Th tarp flew off the trailer and he rode right into it while it was airborne. He went down pretty hard and was nearly run over. Woke up in the hospital the next day.

Good luck

- I was riding my 900F in the middle lane on Rt 290 near Worcester. Was overtaking a badly beat up pile of shit Winnebago that looked like it was on its maiden voyage after sitting in the woods for 20 years. I was right off his left rear quarter when he hit a bump. The storage compartment door dropped open and tons of gas cans, water jugs, garden hoses, sleeping bags, folding chairs and a ton of other shit dumped on the highway. It happened in a split second. Miraculously, and through no skill of my own, I made it through that minefield without hitting anything.

Shit Luck

- another friend, broad daylight on the highway in fairly heavy traffic but moving right along, a large mattress ejected from the roof of a car. It landed on the road right in front of him. Somehow he managed to clip it on an angle and topple onto it. Him and the bike ended up sliding down the highway about 100 yards, while allegedly doing 3 360 degree rotations. Kind of like a magic carpet ride. Not a scratch on him or the bike. State police cited the car driver for "insufficiently attached luggage" or some such infraction. Mattress was ruined.

Toonces

SteveG
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

When I approach a car wanting to turn across my path or pull out in front of me, not only am I covering/feathering the brakes and clutch, but I am ready to accelerate if need be. I also slightly "wiggle" the bike and/or move a little bit left or right so the view angle of my bike changes from the drivers perspective. Not enough to cause drama, but so I get noticed. Driving in a perfectly straight line causes a biker to disappear from the other drivers recognition, but motion draws their attention.

Hey, works for me. I have noticed many drivers do a "double take" after doing the above.

Steve

Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Steve, that's why I have running lights set up to look like a triangle of light. Oncoming drivers don't know what to make of it so they slow down or at least see me.

1977 GL1000 - Ox 
n8n8n8
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

My taillights are leds that flash 3 times when I brake. They're bright as hell. Most close calls I have are my own fault.
A co-worker of mine was riding home at night in the rain once and accidently rode off of a freeway entrance abutment. He dropped about 15 feet onto a sloped grassy area and back onto the freeway. Scared shitless but otherwise unharmed.

Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

SteveG wrote:
When I approach a car wanting to turn across my path or pull out in front of me, not only am I covering/feathering the brakes and clutch, but I am ready to accelerate if need be. I also slightly "wiggle" the bike and/or move a little bit left or right so the view angle of my bike changes from the drivers perspective. Not enough to cause drama, but so I get noticed. Driving in a perfectly straight line causes a biker to disappear from the other drivers recognition, but motion draws their attention.

Hey, works for me. I have noticed many drivers do a "double take" after doing the above.

Steve

I do this sometimes when I'm alone on the road facing some cager in a trance waiting to turn across my path. If I'm part of a group of cars I feel that people pay attention but when you're a lone motorsickle you seem to be invisible. The "wiggle" seems to work! People may think you're nuts but they see you!

robbo
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

SteveG wrote:

Steve

I do this sometimes when I'm alone on the road facing some cager in a trance waiting to turn across my path. If I'm part of a group of cars I feel that people pay attention but when you're a lone motorsickle you seem to be invisible. The "wiggle" seems to work! People may think you're nuts but they see you!

robbo
Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oops. DP.

DrOlds
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Call it screwed up and in to deep. (1) Ride it out as far as you can. If the off-road excursion is inevitable plan it out .... straighten it up at the last possible moment and go in upright so you don't go in sideways which is a 100% high side (unless you are already on the ground sliding sideways which means you are already FUBAR.) As long as you don't stick the front tire in sand or mud the momentum should carry you forward and allow you to slow or steer back up on the road. (2) if you are in hot and the bike start to slide sideways DO NOT change the handlebar position IF you are lucky and the corner ends before you drift onto the dirt/gravel shoulder you will regain traction and continue ... as long as you don't put the bike into the dreaded "death wobble" because you turned the front wheel when it was no longer holding traction.

Call this stupid old lady turning left in front of you from the right hand lane (with her right turn indicator on too.) At the moment of contact get your frigging leg out of the way OR jump over the car and take your chances on the other side of the vehicle when you land.

f4fast
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

I like the wiggle idea and have started using it occasionally.....Particularly when approaching a vehicle in opposite directions where left turns are possible (non limited access highway situations) And adding an observation....My new bike has an LED headlight and the cars definitely seem to notice it more.

That may be because LED lights aren't the norm yet and the effect may wear off as the senses get dulled to the experience..

DrOlds
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

f4fast wrote:
I like the wiggle idea and have started using it occasionally.....Particularly when approaching a vehicle in opposite directions where left turns are possible (non limited access highway situations) And adding an observation....My new bike has an LED headlight and the cars definitely seem to notice it more.

That may be because LED lights aren't the norm yet and the effect may wear off as the senses get dulled to the experience..

They aren't looking at Mr. F4Fast, they are checking out the hot chick next to you!

nlovie
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

simple one - approaching any stop junction - especially down hill approach ones, do your braking early and low speed up to the junction - think of all the cars / trucks spilling fluids whilst sitting there just waiting for you to loose the brake forcing you to either run or slide in front of the oncoming traffic

keep thinking junctions but this time you've got right away - no worries if the roads straight ( apart from observing for the pull out) but if the junction is close to an approaching corner take this one easy - again any spilled fluids from stationary vehicles at the junctions may wash to your corner - this one cost me a lot - nice wet road - plenty grip passed a junction turned into the corner and the back slid out - you could smell the diesel floating on top of the water

AlaskaGriz
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you are in trouble of missing corner or an object is on the road that you have to avoid. Look at where you WANT to go rather than the obstacle. It is called "Target Fixation" to look at what you do not want to hit or go to. With "Target Fixation" you are more likely to hit the object instead of dodging it.

Dave

Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

AlaskaGriz wrote:
With "Target Fixation" you are more likely to hit the object instead of dodging it.

Dave

bloomin PC brigade in the UK would have you locked up with that Laughing " honest mi lord I didn't grope her bottom -it was target fixation

AlaskaGriz
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

nlovie wrote:
AlaskaGriz wrote:
With "Target Fixation" you are more likely to hit the object instead of dodging it.

Dave

bloomin PC brigade in the UK would have you locked up with that Laughing " honest mi lord I didn't grope her bottom -it was target fixation

Hahahaa!!! roflmao

I will use that one............. "Honestly officer, I didn't intend to do that but I got Target Fixation."

Dave

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic