\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 72,898,621
  • Today: 14,930
Server InfoServer Info
  • Mar 29, 2024
  • 12:55 am PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
tomk1960
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

A few years ago I ended up buying one of the two blue 1100F"s that Peter, aka Pointdiver had for sale. It was in decent shape, but the salt air had taken a toll on the aluminum parts and frame. When I got it home, I gave the carbs a good cleaning and the bike fired up and ran fine. That's all I needed to know. Then I decided to give it to my son Joey last August for his birthday since he loves my 1100F.

This past winter I began restoring spare parts to replace all the peeling and corroded parts on the bike. I went through dozens of parts and got pretty anal about the project. When spring rolled around I pulled the valve cover and adjusted all the valves. At that point, I figured it was time to put on the rebuilt front end and all the other goodies I had ready. But looking at the sad looking frame and corroded peeling engine, I decided that I couldn't do the job half asses. A quick talk with Joey and it was decided that we'd go down to the frame and do it right. The engine would be soda blasted, cleaned, and repainted, and I would powder coat the frame.

We got it all apart a couple weeks ago and after degreasing the frame, I dropped it off for blasting. Not wanting to leave it bare metal for long, I did the final prep Friday night and Saturday morning it got the full treatment. A good coat of zinc primer (powder) with a partial cure followed by a nice coat of gloss black. This is the first frame that I've powder coated and I couldn't be happier. It came out awesome.

Tne new steering races are already in, the triples are installed, and a few other little bits are bolted on. We have a few more details to work out but final assembly will begin shortly. Painting the motor is the last big part to be finished and hopefully that will be done within a few weeks. I'll post some new pics as the build progresses.

CB1100F's - multiple flavors 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Hondo57
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Looks great Tom

Silver CB750F
Silver CB750F

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

It does look great!

CDN1100F
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nice work, as always Tom! I certainly hope that Joey appreciates what a talented and awesome father he has!!

Cheers!
Chris

herdygerdy
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lovely work Tom, up to your usual standard of course. Can't wait to see the happy smile on both yours and your "son and heir's" face when it is all done and you light the wick with all the "new makeup and foundation in place"and that very fortunate 1100 is once again 'dressed to thrill'. Laughing

Sure adds weight to the saying 'the apple does not fall far from the tree'! Only hope your very lucky son is keen to learn from our favourite 'Obe Wan Kenobe' of powder coating!

Enjoy the journey together.

Cheers...Tony Cool

genesound
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome!

As usual Wink

We don\'t see things as they are
we see things as we are

Viton Valve Stem Seals
12.9 Cam Holder Bolts

Captain
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Very nice, and something to be proud of..... Doing it with your son.
Enjoy it and the rides to come.

Captain

Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Captain wrote:
Very nice, and something to be proud of..... Doing it with your son.
Enjoy it and the rides to come.

Captain

Thanks Brent. It's a great project to build together and since he loves 1100F's, he's enjoying the process.

Last night we made some progress installing the center stand (with Dale's special stoppers) and the restored front end. We leave for vacation on Friday, but I expect that we'll have the swingarm, shocks, and back wheel on by then.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Hondo57
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Looks brand new. Is that a new spring? What are Dales special stoppers? Thats a new one on me

Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hondo57 wrote:
Looks brand new. Is that a new spring? What are Dales special stoppers? Thats a new one on me

Yes, a new center stand spring - still available from Honda. The center stand stoppers are a much neater and nearly invisible way of keeping the stand away from the chain when you have a 4-into-1 exhaust and the stand is up. SuperTrapp included these with their exhausts and Dale (aka Luckysox) kitted up a bunch of these for members to buy. He did a nice job supplying all the hardware, including spacers, washers, nuts and bolts, the pre-bent steel bars, and rubber stoppers to prevent scratching the center stand tube. Here's a better shot of what they look like, although it's a bit blurry:

dannycoolbeans
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's coming out great!

Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

On Friday, a set of freshly rebuilt and restored shocks arrived for Joey's 1100F. Mike (aka 2ndgenss) and I have been collaborating on rebuilding these in an effort to get the cost down. He tears them down and while I powder coat the bodies, tanks, and screw-on caps, he has the springs re-chromed and rebuilds the cartridges. Then I send the powder coated parts back to him for final assembly. This is one of the first pairs he's finished and he has another 4 or 5 sets underway. They came out killer and are going to look awesome on the bike.

smurdoch
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Those shocks are spectacular!
I bet they didn't look that good when new.

Hondo57
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They definitely didn't

Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Those shocks are stunning. I hate to ask, but how much does a rebuilt set cost?

Brett

tomk1960
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

brett_s wrote:
Those shocks are stunning. I hate to ask, but how much does a rebuilt set cost?

Brett

Pricing is still TBD, Brett. If you want the full treatment, it won't be cheap unfortunately. There's quite a bit involved to restore them - disassembly, tear-down and rebuilding of the cartridges, seals, plating, polishing, powder coating, reassembly, reservoir caps, etc. Plus the shipping back and forth between Mike and me, although we'll do them in batches to keep that cost down. Until Mike has his process streamlined and knows how much time he has to put into each set, it's too early to quote a price.

For the 1100F purist that must have a completely stock bike, the cost won't be an issue. For the person who just wants to have good shocks for an every day rider, there may be less expensive options. (not Ohlins though)

Zippy
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like those centerstand stoppers, but I can't seem to figure out how they attach. Is the bracket welded to the frame?

Are they still available to buy?

tomk1960
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Last weekend I brought the engine out to the back yard and soda blasted the paint off of the cases, head, and cylinders. After blowing off all the residue, I sprayed it down with a generous amount of brakleen. Now it's on the engine stand and will get a much more thorough cleaning this weekend. Weather permitting, it will be painted during the labor day weekend. All of the covers are spares and are just acting as seals to the internals. After the main engine is painted, the covers will come off and be replaced with ones I've already powder coated. Then these will get in the PC queue for my next build.

1980CB750F
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

interesting engine stand. I assume you fabricated those brackets?

tomk1960
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

1980CB750F wrote:
interesting engine stand. I assume you fabricated those brackets?

Yes indeed Mark. Not too difficult to do, either. You'll need a couple feet of angle bracket - I used 3/16" thick x 2" stock. You'll have to drill four 3/8" holes in each one. Two line up with the motor mount holes in the back of the engine cases and the other four line up with the Harbor Freight brackets. I cut two 11" 3/8" pieces of steel rod and threaded each end for 3/89" nuts. I made spacers out of 1" dowels and put 1 1/8" washers between them and the engine cases. You have to cut the right bracket to fit around the clutch housing and then you're ready to bolt it all up. The spacers give you room to get in there with the spray gun so you'll get good paint coverage.

I can provide more pics if requested. This is very similar to what a lot of the guys here have made.

Tom

tomk1960
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lots of progress has been made since my last post. Engine is painted (Eastwood 2K high temp ceramic gloss black paint) and installed, Peter's new harness is installed with the modern CBR controls, and all electrical items are working as expected. The rear caliper is bled and operational. Gauge cluster and housing all cleaned up and reassembled, chain and sprockets installed, seat is recovered, and the list goes on. I had a rather long punch list of items to address, but it's quickly shrinking. I do a little before work every morning and some more in the evenings and weekends. By the time the overhauled carbs come back from Mike Nixon, it should be ready to fire up. I expect that my son Joey will be home from school that weekend so that he can be the one to push the start button for the first time.

CDN1100F
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Holy Shit Tom! That is going to look like a brand new bike off the showroom floor!! Shocked

Maybe I should just park my bike at your place after the Fall Ride next year.... Very Happy

Cheers!!
Chris

Hondo57
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Can I ask how you did the valve cover? It has a nice satin finish

Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hondo57 wrote:
Can I ask how you did the valve cover? It has a nice satin finish

It's a chrome base with a super high gloss clearcoat. I've powder coated dozens of these in this finish. I use the same finish on the swingarm, alternator cover, lattice footpeg plates, etc.

tomk1960
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When I made up the the new AN-8 SS braided oil cooler lines, I wanted to use the original grommets that came with the OEM oil lines. The braided line is smaller in diameter and the fit/finish after installation wasn't as nice as I'd like. (first pic below) The fix is easy - just use a piece of 5/8" ID washing machine hose to fill the gap and you end up with nice, neat job. I have plenty of the hose, so anyone who would like a piece can have it for the price of shipping. This is also readily available by the foot at any good hardware store.

kiwihonda004
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Question Tom The cbr switches do they plug straight into the harness and what model and yr
cheers Peter

Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Looking just gorgeous Tom, truly beautiful work. But be careful though...It may end up being just too damn pretty to ride!

And how very precious to be sharing the journey and interest with your son. I'm not a religious man, but you must be truly blessed.

Enjoy and keep the stunning pics coming. Thankyou for making the time to take us along for the ride.

basmn
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wow....nice build guys

03 YZF R6 track only
XR100 pit special
CRF 230F
2014 Kodiak 450 for the wife (:
2018 Polaris 570..for me.. 
AlaskaGriz
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Love watching the progress on this bike. Brings back some fond memories when I visited your shop, Tom. Keep posting pictures and the progress for me to admire and stay interested.

Dave

Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

kiwihonda004 wrote:
Question Tom The cbr switches do they plug straight into the harness and what model and yr
cheers Peter

Peter, I used 2015 CBR500 switches on my son's bike, purchased brand new from Honda. They aren't plug and play and require some extensive rewiring to be made compatible. The connectors aren't correct either. I just gave the switches to Peter Smick, along with a schematic, and he made the necessary wiring changes so that they would plug into the new harness he made for this bike. I used 2014 CB1100 switches on my resto-mod which look nearly identical, but also have a "flash to pass" switch. It turns out that those switches are somewhat easier to modify, so I'll use those ones on my next build.

herdygerdy wrote:
And how very precious to be sharing the journey and interest with your son. I'm not a religious man, but you must be truly blessed.

I agree 100%. To have two great adult children is a blessing in itself. And to have a son who shares the same enthusiasm for restoring and riding these old beauties is a gigantic bonus.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic