\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 39,982,116
  • Today: 44,565
Server InfoServer Info
  • Sep 21, 2020
  • 12:28 am PDT

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
BBrandt11
Black CB750F
Black CB750F

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We are all shocked and saddened to hear the news of Matt's untimely exit from our world, RIP Matt, and my sincerest wishes and condolences are with Matt's family and friends.
I pondered the sensitivity and timing of what I am about to say but I will not speculate on the reasons or causes of the incident, but I would like to think that there is a lesson or reminder for the rest of us. We are mortal and the choice to ride comes with the inherent and accepted peril and risk associated with riding a motorcycle. When things go wrong, there is the chance the outcome will be drastic and final.
Matt was not a novice or inexperienced rider, having been involved in the lifestyle for the majority of his life to the degree that cause him to dedicate the majority of his life to it and dedicate his livelihood to it as well.
As many here are well aware, the enthusiasm for the challenge and opportunity to explore the limits of the sport can and will sometimes take precedence over rational judgement and cause us to choose a path that may deliver tragic results. For me, that is an acknowledged and accepted fact inherent to my love of the sport and all that it brings with it.
In November of 1982 I walked away from a perfectly good 900F, (at least it was seconds before) that I had been on when one such errant judgement was made. I left the bike behind a car travelling at the legal speed limit and I continued my "flight" as far as the hood of the car where inexplicably I stopped. The driver swerved to the right and I went off the left fender and continued on down the four lane undivided highway on my belly headed for the oncoming traffic while slowing down from about 60 miles per hour. All the while watching the oncoming traffic slow and swerve to avoid me as I paddled the asphalt to redirect myself and stay on my side of the road.
The ambulance showed up to find me sitting on the hillside, two police cars arrived, the second with the Corporal who said that he had been called due to the fact that his duty was to photograph fatal accident scenes. He was almost as pleased as I was that I had dissapointed him.
Out of it all I had a ruined bike, a leather jacket that I still have to this day with the diagonal road rash and ground off zipper, a pair of gloves that have been restitched countless times but I still wear to this day. the jeans with the ground out knees are long gone, as is the road rash on the fronts of my legs.
Most importantly I am thankfully here to tell the tale, I was 25 years old, I wasn't a newbie rider, and was road racing on tracks, not on the streets at the time. The only thing I can attribute the incident to was a decision that I made at that moment that was just so wrong that it nearly cost me my life.
This is not a story many have heard outside of the close circle of long time friends I have and it is rarely spoken of anymore.
I let it serve as my conscious reminder when I ride and things do get to the spirited level, shit happens! No matter who you are!

So I will not ponder or try to understand or explain or dissect Matt's untimely and unfortunate leaving, only say that for whatever reasons that none of ever need to know or will know it was the time of his call to the gates!

Our times will come as well, let's hope that we can all be as lucky as Matt and leave enjoying doing something we love as mich as we know Matt was in his final moments with us!

Here's to Matt! RIP! We will all miss you! beerchug

firemun59
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

well stated Bryan...I believe we all have stories of near fatal misses or accidents and as a result respect the activity of riding........hopefully.... Cool

RIP Matt........... Cool

rchrdton
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When did this happen?? Just talked to him on Friday. Wow, Can't believe it. RIP Matt and thanks for all the help.

AlaskaGriz
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

OMG............ I cannot believe my eyes after being away from this site of few days and come back to read this.

I am saddened beyond words right now!!!!!!!!!! Words will have to come later, right now I gotta collect my thoughts.

Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Are you talking about Matt from Missoula, MT???

Is that him???

I am out of words.

Tileist
MB-5
MB-5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

Larry told me about Matt. he was his buddy although I did not know him I am very sad every time I hear of a rider going down. I know it happens every day but when it is someone you know and care for it really hurts and makes you think. Ride safe everyone.

fasterspider
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was riding up the PCH and looking out over the Pacific Oceon when Matt came to mind today. I will miss him even though I never met him in person. Speaking to him on the phone was always a thrill and I spoke to him many times in the past two years that he was on the site and it always ended well as did the last conversation I had with him last month about my FCRs that are on my red bike now.
Like I said, I will miss Matt at PSB. He was a rare breed and it was fun to know of him what I did.
Rest in Peace Brother.

silversurfer1050
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

Read the whole "stikied" thread. I can not add anything to the posts that reside there.

The thing that struck me most about Matt was that he did not belittle people who were looking for infomation, even simple questions. One of the fun posts I shared with him involved termonology for roof construction.

God Speed Matt.

Bill

Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

When I first read this thread, I didn't have the words. Yes, I was very shocked but since then I have read the "stickied" thread completely and went for a ride to get my head in the right place and can now say..............

THIS SUCKS BIG TIME Mad

I am pissed that we have lost such a genuine person like Matt. My ride put me in a vigorous frame of mind. I went out to push it a little and get that feeling of exhilaration. I found heaven on 2 wheels and I know that is how I wanted to feel before writing anymore.

Matt was playing with the 2 edge sword all of us do when riding on the edge. I was clearly excited about having my spirit set free but with my intellect keeping me within the boundaries of my skill. I never feel so "alive" and in tuned with my senses as I do when I'm riding on the edge. I am sure that this is the way Matt was feeling during his last ride too.

I also read some of Matt's posts and now I just need to say that I will miss his wit, humor and endless supply of no-nonsense help!

Dave

CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'll never forget the time Matt tried to get me banned from this Site Laughing

Valve shim GOLD MINE thread

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ratfink
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

INTIMIDA2OR wrote:
I'll never forget the time Matt tried to get me banned from this Site Laughing

Valve shim GOLD MINE thread

Good thread. Cool

Again. Who do I send people to when they start talking about PODs???????
I wish I knew half what he or some of the other member do. I am working on it though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
hondahondahonda
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

HOLY CRAP!!! I also have been away from this site for a little while...to come back to this?!?!
Matt helped me out numerous times with everything and anything I needed to know. Sent me parts, lent me tools. what a Great man Matt was, and I never even got the opportunity to meet him.
God Bless his soul, the world would be a better place with more friendly people like Matt around.

WHAT A SHOCK!!!

eatpasta
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I'll never forget the time Matt tried to get me banned from this Site

you probably deserved it... Laughing

INTIMIDA2OR
CB1100F
CB1100F

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

eatpasta wrote:
Quote:
I'll never forget the time Matt tried to get me banned from this Site

you probably deserved it... Laughing

Heh Razz Razz Razz

boldorboy
Hawk
Hawk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

Was resisting responding to this thread... Wasn't sure what to say that wouldn't sound trite.

Although I never met Matt, I did talk to him many times... and exchanged words in a couple threads...

I want to pick out one great attribute he had that is rare in the motorcycle industry... He was unafraid to meet you,me and his customers, where we were in our motorcycle journey. Never dismissive or condecending. Having worked as a mechanic in a busy Honda shop, I'll say that is an attribute that is very rare... and one I tried to attain. Matt did it...

His untimely demise has effected me quite a bit for someone I never met face to face... At very least I'll never say or use the term "crotch rocket" again! And I'll always consider Amtrak when making travel arrangements!

He was a one of those rare people that... hell, it's all been said beter than I can put it...

Matt, you're missed... I look forward to putting my hand in yours sometime on the other side... God speed my friend.

Brian

Litecruiser
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There are NO rewards or punishments, ONLY consequences.

Goodbye Matt.

Lee

firestorm
Twinstar
Twinstar

Location: Nottingham rd in the midlands of Kwa Zulu NatalSouth Africa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

God Speed Matt.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic