\', Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website, \' - \', Dedicated to Honda SuperSport lovers past present and future., \'
  Login or Register
Modules

User Info
Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 30,302,069
  • Today: 21,558
Server InfoServer Info
  • Feb 19, 2020
  • 06:40 pm PST

Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat
831100F
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

Location: Adjacent to and within walking distance of: Beautiful downtown Winterpock, VA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just an observation here:

4 years ago, I finished chassis restoration on the 1100F. Even though my bike is garage kept, the engine cut-off switch has already faded from red to pumpkin orange and my TRAC dust seals have split............all were new, OEM parts 4 years ago.

I was comparing the cut-off switch to an original 900F switch that lived outdoors most of it's life and the 900's has barely faded.

Anyone have similar issues?

Mike

fasterspider
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

831100F wrote:

4 years ago, I finished chassis restoration on the 1100F. Even though my bike is garage kept, the engine cut-off switch has already faded from red to pumpkin orange and my TRAC dust seals have split............all were new, OEM parts 4 years ago.

I was comparing the cut-off switch to an original 900F switch that lived outdoors most of it's life and the 900's has barely faded.

Anyone have similar issues?

Mike

I bought a NOS throttle housing/switch from ebay last year and the red cut off switch was already faded to an almost pink and so was the starter button. Needless to say, I am not too thrilled about it, but what can I do?

winnerc2s
Friend of the Board
Friend of the Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mike:

Last year I ordered a left side 1100F engine cover (the black painted cover that the ignition/points cover mounts to) from Honda. When it arrived the finish was of poor quality. It had no shine to it and it had a number of surface imperfections (gritty spots, rough finish). I complained and the dealer ordered a replacement. The second one arrived with the same problems. I didn't keep either one.

I tried Service Honda. Same results. I returned it to Service Honda and they ordered a replacement that also arrived to them in poor quality on the finish. They told me at the time that some parts are true NOS from the original manufacture period. Other parts have been from additional production runs that Honda has done over the years. Their experience is that some of the additional production run parts were of lesser quality.

When they were available I also received from Honda valve covers, alternator covers and ignition covers that were new but had imperfections in the clear coat.

'83 CB1100F - Red
'83 CB1100F - Blue
'85 CB700SC - Black/Blue
'83 ATC200X - Red/White
'02 VRod - Silver 
831100F
Silver CB900F
Silver CB900F

Location: Adjacent to and within walking distance of: Beautiful downtown Winterpock, VA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As I'm working on my bike today, I now need to add one more thing:

Fork tube dust seals.....they're cracked all the way around the tube. This really has me upset as obviously, they're not easy to replace.........

Don't get me wrongt F'rs, I don't want to start a rant here, I am concerned though.

Mike

fasterspider
Red CB1100F
Red CB1100F

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

831100F wrote:
As I'm working on my bike today, I now need to add one more thing:

Fork tube dust seals.....they're cracked all the way around the tube. This really has me upset as obviously, they're not easy to replace.........

Don't get me wrongt F'rs, I don't want to start a rant here, I am concerned though.

Mike

I just put new fork seals in all of my bikes recently and when the new Honda seals came in, they had new dust caps with them.

hondapartsman
MB-5
MB-5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

As someone with long experience in replacement (oem) parts this has all made interesting reading, let me tell you folks, it was ever thus. one theory has it that all the lower quality parts were put aside for spares ( I used to have lots of fun sifting through parts, ordering and reordering, talking to people at Honda all to get a decent part (if you were lucky they had a few hundred in stock and might find you a just about acceptable part, eventually) another theory is that the spare parts production is farmed out somewhere cheaper (like China or something, Vietnam, somewhere like that) because after all once the bike is a year or two old who cares! Whatever happens, let me just put a word on for the spares man, (at least the good ones I and I know there are some who don't give a toss) just remember we do our best but we don't make the things ourselves and tend to be regarded by the guys at the importers as an unnecessarily fussy nuisance. That said, if I ever get back in the circuit I'll do my best t help you guys as much as I can because I always take the view that if everyone bought new bikes all the time, and no one had old ones there'd not be so much demand for spares guys. Happy biking all.

TG
MB-5
MB-5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

To hondapartsman: Superb info, and welcome to the group!

TG

FLYTIME
Twinstar
Twinstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

831100F wrote:

................This is rather upsetting,ive got $3,500 in OEM parts sitting in boxes .Of all the OEM parts ive purshased in the past year the only parts that I wasnt happy with were the levers,have a chalky finish and a chain guard that was scuffed.I was surprised to find 90% of the parts still out there.Look on the bright side,GM stops making parts after 8 years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cb1100f.net Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

View next topic
View previous topic